Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kodachrome City in Monochrome

Real Name
    Susan

Kodachrome City in Monochrome

With all the interest in monochrome I couldn't help but try my hand at it when I was struck by the thought of turning Kodachrome to monochrome. We vacationed in Rochester last summer and saw the closed Kodak plant as we drove past - but I wasn't thinking and didn't take a picture of it.

The city of Rochester, NY... C&C and/or rework (with explanation) is welcome!

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Re: Kodachrome City in Monochrome

Susan, I might try to recover more detail in the water and the sky. I would also try some different crops of the picture. Love your goal: "serious fun." For me, that is what hobbyist photography should be all about.

Karm

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice conversion. Looks good as-is to me.

Real Name
    Susan

Hi Karm - someday I will have a picture with an interesting sky - overcast is what I almost always get. I actually used your Industrial pictures to practice converting - I played with your original one till I got it pretty close to your B&W image. That was great to have both up - thanks! So far I am doing most all my PP in LR... I am just getting into PS and when I get better at it I will be sure to have more interesting skies if I have to add clouds in a layer (I think that's how to do it).

Bobo - thanks very much!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very nice initial attempt! Considering the uninteresting sky, you might want to try adding overall interest using slightly more contrast in everything but the sky, but only so long as you don't lose detail. Also considering dodging and burning various areas of the sky to display a wider range of tonal values that will also add interest.

Real Name
    Susan

Thanks Mike - I was thinking about your dodging and burning idea and decided to try the graduated filter (with exposure) in LR and I think it does help...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

There's no question in my mind that the revision is an improvement.