Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: No budget, question @ D100 purchase

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

No budget, question @ D100 purchase

Hi,
    My college poor neice has taken 2 photo classes and would like to get serious. With no $, I have had some folks point me toward a D100 at KEH online photo store. It is rated EX (excellent cond) at $160, and a forum member has said I could have his extra 35-70 mm, 3.5-4.5 (?) for free!
    I am no expert just having gotten my 1st DSLR last May (d7000). I hoped maybe my lenses would fit hers when I see her maybe 1-2ce a year, and with Nikons at least we would have some similar lingo....

Just some feedback is appreciated. I don't think it does video, has lower mp, takes a CF card, but if is worth getting her going, I was going to buy it for her. I see her next month for family reunion, was hoping to give it to her then.
    Thank you all,
    Nancy

Real Name
    Andrew www.adcc.me.uk/Galleries

Re: No budget, question @ D100 purchase

I had one of these a number of years ago. I remember finding it easy to use and was very pleased with the results at the time. I used it on a tour of Rajastan and was very pleased with the results. Although only 6Mp it achieved perfectly acceptable 16x20 inch prints.

Things move on and I don't know how it would stand up against today's models but as a starter DSLR I would recommend it.

Real Name
    J stands for John

When I trawl through my older files I am plesantly suprised at the results I got with my 5Mp bridge camera and my 6.3Mp Canon DSLR ... I gave up making large prints awhile back as a cost saving meaure so I'm looking at whole screen [18" diagonal ] images on the computer. Awhile back there was a thread somewhere saying that 6Mp was plenty enough for most purposes
    It doesn't have high ISO which might be a bit limiting. I hope you educate her about getting an editing programme, a good one, which can be the difference between being happy with one's results and not. Even free Paint Net is quite competant and GIMP opens the world to you as some here can testify

Real Name
    Grahame

Nancy,

I would suggest this is a very good choice for a camera that is to be bought primarily to assist someone to learn photography whilst being limited by budget.

As has been said above it has some technical limitation compared to more expensive modern models but by the user recognising and learning what is necessary to overcome these limitations it has surely got to be a bonus through the journey of 'learning'.

What they would be getting is a 'proffesional looking' camera that gives the user access to all variables needed to learn the technical side of image taking.

Real Name
    Richard

I shot with a Canon 10D for a number of years and I was quite satisfied with the results. About 6Mp was enough to give me very nice 8x10" prints and the occasional 11x14" print.
    No budget, question @ D100 purchase

Today's generation of DSLR cameras have sky-high ISO capability, gazillions of megapixels and probably a bit faster start-up time and quite probably faster autofocus. However the 6.3Mp Canon 10D was a fine beginning DSLR camera and I would expect the same for the D100.

Apparently, the D100 has the built-in focus motor which allows it to auto focus with virtually all (if not all) of the Nikon autofocus lenses.

The 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lens is a older but, still decent lens. It should be quite sufficient for a beginning DSLR user. It might not be quite wide as might be desired on a crop camera but, it will meet the needs of a new shooter... It is faster at its maximum focal length than the Nikon kit lens and the 70mm would make it quite decent for portraits. It doesn't have VC but, photographers shot for years without any kind of compensation.

Real Name
    John

Low budget is fine if you are a hobbyist, but is she plans to take more classes she will want a camera that is capable of a good workout. CF cards are sometimes limited to only 1GB capacity so number of photos taken per card may be limited. Older cameras take different batteries, this one uses six AA batteries or two Li-Ion batteries. Find out the typical life of the batteries or buy extras.

Transferring images to a computer will require either a card reader or USB cord. If she is taking classes and there is a review session, she won't want to wait a half hour for images to load.

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

Thank you all for your honest opinions. I doubt she will be enlarging anything that will make a difference with 6 mp.and if gets that good, she can sell it and buy up!
    Any idea if my lenses for my 7000 will fit hers, although not a deal breaker.
    Nancy

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Low budget is fine if you are a hobbyist, but is she plans to take more classes she will want a camera that is capable of a good workout. CF cards are sometimes limited to only 1GB capacity so number of photos taken per card may be limited. Older cameras take different batteries, this one uses six AA batteries or two Li-Ion batteries. Find out the typical life of the batteries or buy extras.

Transferring images to a computer will require either a card reader or USB cord. If she is taking classes and there is a review session, she won't want to wait a half hour for images to load.
    Can this figure be substantiated? It seems much longer than I have ever experienced for a 1 gig CF card.

The maximum time I would expect is a JPEG every second or a RAW every 3 seconds so to transfer 20 shots for review it should take less than a minute. However I would expect a student to bring along selected photographs on a USB data drive.

If the D100 is in good condition it would be most suitable as it has all the features a beginner student needs to become familiar with.

P.S. OOPS Just seen that the D100 is USB 1 for transfers so John may well be able to substantiate 30 minutes. I had assumed the D100 was USB 2 - technology marches on.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 1st March 2013 at 01:49 AM.

Real Name
    Hendrik

First, your lenses and hers will be fully interchangeable - D100 is a DX body. The battery it takes is the EN-EL3, same as in the D70, which last is still a leader in shots/charge. The camera is dated, but I expect you realize this. However in its day it was acceptable to National Geographic.

If used within its limitations such a camera can produce first rate images. Some of the major limitations are: highest listed iso at 1600, easily discernible shadow noise (both chroma and luminance) can be expected at high iso, slow response, short and slow (3fps) burst capability, small rear preview screen, somewhat inaccurate luminance histogram (leads to blowouts, usually in the red channel), 6mp. As a training camera it will certainly enforce shot discipline. It's easy to get lazy with one of the current generation cameras. Good luck to you and your niece in this endeavor.

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

Thank you.
    I just called to order it and salesman says the D50 might be better. Same price and condition ($159 body only)
    Thoughts, Nancy

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Moran G View Post
    Thank you.
    I just called to order it and salesman says the D50 might be better. Same price and condition ($159 body only)
    Thoughts, Nancy
    Did the salesman say why?

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

A few yrs newer, has some auto functions, which I know is not why you but his type of camera, but sometimes...
    Sd card, not CF,
    There was probably more, but he had me at 'few yrs newer'...and it will still fit the lens someone is giving me.
    Thoughts?
    Thank you again, Nancy

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Moran G View Post
    Thank you.
    Thoughts, Nancy
    The D50 is about 4 years later than the D100 and also has a 6.1 Megapixel sensor. Just glancing at the specifications on DPReview I think it may well be more suitable than the D100. Four years makes a big difference in technology. There are a couple of features the D100 has that are missing from the D50 but the main disadvantage it does not have a depth of field preview button but it is a feature Very few people use.

Shadowman - John mentioned transfer time and his half hour for the D100 was probably a better guess than I thought as I discovered the D100 is only USB 1 so the D50 with USB 2 is significantly better in that respect.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 1st March 2013 at 01:52 AM.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Nancy, I would go for the D50. Besides the already mentioned advantages (3 years and 2 months newer, USB 2.0, SD, etc.), it also overcomes the D100 on the following:

-Screen size (2.0 versus 1.8 inches)
    -Smaller in size 133x102x76 mm versus 144x116x81 mm
    -Lighter (620g versus 780g!)

On the other hand, the D50 can only reach 2,5 FPS (agains D100's 3FPS) and has a pentamirror, versus D100's pentaprism, but, in my opinion, these might not be that significant for a beginner (student).

I hope that helps a little.

Cheers...

Real Name
    Hendrik

Even so, no matter the camera, I find a good card reader is a very worthwhile investment - there's no flat space for a camera on my desk. Also, when the camera's on the tripod at the other end of the house from the computer, and the setup has been painstakingly achieved, it's ever so much easier to pop the card out of the camera, run to the computer, put the card in the reader and examine the images to be sure everything is just so.

The D50 has a standard F-mount and can autofocus with screw drive (Non AF-S) lenses, so, no difference with the D100. It is likely to have benefitted from subsequent tweaks - that's classic Nikon practice. For instance, the D300, which appeared first, and D90 share the same sensor. The D90 has the (slightly) better, later implementation.

I shoot largely in Manual mode. Needing immediate access to at least two legs of the exposure triangle, I would thus find the D50's lack of the (sub)command dial a huge disadvantage, likely a disabling one (the D100 has it, as does your D7000). If this is a concern you or your niece share, consider finding a D70(s) which, sensor-progress-wise, lies between the two cameras you're considering. The D70 has its limitations (just like the D100 and D50 - just as with any camera, for that matter) but learn them and stay within them and you're golden. To learn them just test the limits and find them.

This thread provoked me this evening to go over my D70 shots (I still have it as deep backup) and they hold their own. Some of my favorite images were shot with that camera. It has certainly taught me more about digital photography than any other camera I've owned.

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

Wow, while I slept you all were at work helping me!
    I am going to order the D50. I thank you all for your info and taking the time.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Nancy