Thread: The Street Where I live

Real Name
    Ted

The Street Where I live

Celebrating the arrival of a micro four-thirds Panasonic DMC-GH1K. I shot the street, a favorite test zone for me because, duh, it's close.

Nice sunny day for a change here in Texas ;-)

This one had some nice-ish cloud patterns with a matching contrail and you can see the dirt road from which I turn into my street. I include the wires because it's typical of rural Texas and also useful for checking sharpness and highlights and, being ANSI 61 light gray, the white balance:

The Street Where I live

Turning around to go back to the cabin, I was struck by by the shadows. Notice the change of color in the sky. I'm learning that the GH1 or any camera, I guess, is quite sensitive to angular elevation when in auto exposure mode. Once again the power poles are left in because this is Texas, dammit!

The Street Where I live

Think I'll revert to full manual control . . . works a treat with the excellent EVF on this camera.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 26th February 2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: the usual typos

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

Re: The Street Where I live

I am glad you are enjoying your camera. The first is more pleasing to my eye and shows off a very nice shade of blue sky. The second image is too contrasty for me with the deep shadows and cyan sky. I sometimes include power lines and poles in my shots and have no specific prejudice against them as long as they contribute to the image at hand (composition, story, lines, etc.). I was drawn to this post because I love to take pictures right outside my house. The proximity lets me explore the effects of changing light, weather, and seasons on the scene. It doesn't hurt that my neighborhood is photogenic with nicely spaced out maples, a nice incline and curve to the street, along with some, you guessed it, power lines.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Brev00 View Post
    I am glad you are enjoying your camera. The first is more pleasing to my eye and shows off a very nice shade of blue sky. The second image is too contrasty for me with the deep shadows and cyan sky.
    Thanks for your kind comments, Larry. I am still getting used to the EVF and it is interesting how live view shows the changing sky color as you wave the camera around to compose the frame. Both images are as shot with no PP other than re-sampling and a smidge of sharpening in FastStone Viewer. That second image certainly had a lot of contrast as you can imagine. Another shot I took with the camera angled down toward the trees had an impossibly dark (for the time of day) blue sky, striking but unreal. The actual shade of the sky blue was somewhere between these two shots, favoring the first shot, IIRC.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

It's a Panasonic - It's a Leica?

Love the colors, that clear blue sky with streaks of cloud. The second shot shows a bit of the dynamic range capabilities of the Panasonic. BTW if those are Wattle trees they should be very dark green.