Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trumpeter Swans

Real Name
    randy

Trumpeter Swans

The annual ice age is beginning to lift in Minnesota (Land of 10,000 Lakes....and exactly the right number of Zamboni). I felt moved to kick the snoozing feline from my lap, extricate myself from the couch, don 20# of outdoor gear, chip out a path for my mighty steed, ......normally I collapse in a heap about this stage!!.....and travel 10 miles to the river city of Monticello, Mn.

About 30 years ago, a resident began seeing a small gathering of trumpeter swans in the Mississippi behind her home. She began putting out corn to help them out as they were quite rare. Soon she found herself working 8 hours a day lugging corn from her car, around to the backyard, and down the icy banks of the river. She passed away about 2 years ago, after making her husband promise to continue feeding her swans, which now number at something like several hundred. Transporting the corn has become somewhat easier with the installation of a conveyor from the driveway to the edge of the river.

Trumpeter Swans

Trumpeter Swans

Trumpeter Swans

Trumpeter Swans
    Last edited by rtbaum; 26th February 2013 at 02:55 PM.

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Trumpeter Swans

OK, so you made me feel better about our windy, overcast day! I especially like the first two photos. How nice to have access to swans, even if you do have to brave the cold to do it.

Real Name
    randy

Re: Trumpeter Swans

Actually, as a true minnesnowtan, I celebrate temps above 20 F. I predict that within the next month, when temps hit the mid-40's, I will see a jogger in shorts..........stay tuned!!!