Thread: My Dog Cas

Real Name
    Mir

My Dog Cas

Comments and Criticisms most definitely welcome I'm trying to learn as much as possible so please don't ever hesitate I welcome every opportunity to learn.

I put my little point and shoot camera in Macro mode because other wise as close as I was the camera kept losing focus and everything was blurry.

My Dog Cas

My Dog Cas

My Dog Cas

My Dog Cas

Real Name
    Richard

Re: My Dog Cas

Cas is a beautiful dog... I think that I might have shot from a further distance with a longer focal length. As with people, short focal lengths exaggerate the noses of dogs.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 25th February 2013 at 07:13 PM.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Hi Mir - Cas looks like quite the happy pup and will give you lots of chances to practise. #2 is my favourite. In 1 and 3 the head looks a bit out of proportion to the rest of the body - this may be due to Macro mode. I like that you shot from ground level in #4 - but did you want it to appear like Cas was on a downhill slope ?

Real Name
    Mir

Thanks for the comments!

I think Cas is pretty beautiful myself, she also has a mischief streak a mile wide

It sounds like I need to try more shots of Cas with the camera out of macro mode and get further away to prevent distortion. I chose macro mode because I was having trouble getting Cas to be still enough to take pics. We were playing a game of fetch and every time she came back and laid down next to me with the ball I would take a couple of pictures.

I think I'm going to have to figure out a different way for her to be still so I can get further away and take pics.

I didn't mean to take pic number four at a downward slope. I am going to try and redo that shot. I really like taking pics from below and looking up. I just think I'm going to need to figure out a way to keep the camera level.

Real Name
    Richard

Another thing that I wll sometimes do is to photograph my dog on a slope so the slope is the background and there is no apparent horizon...

My Dog Cas

I should have, however, cloned out the lead in this image...

The slope also makes it easier to get an eye level view of the dog without kneeling or stooping. Since I am old and my joints squeek and scream, I avoid stooping or kneeling whenever possible...

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Beautiful pups........

Real Name
    Ken

At least she brings the ball back

Real Name
    Natalie

I think Cas is beautiful. I don't mind the macro shots...#2 is also my favorite. Does your dog know the command sit or down? That would help getting her to sit still, and then does your camera have a zoom? So if you did not use the macro, but stepped back and then zoomed in with the camera, it may help keep it in focus....They are all nice colors and sharpness. (Richard's dog is beautiful, too! )

Real Name
    Mir

I love the slope idea Richard. Thank you! I will most definitely try it. By the way your dog is beautiful

Thanks Nat too. I think I will try to get her to do a down stay and take pics. Its odd but she has an aversion to the noise the camera makes when it zooms so it's hard for me to get her to stay put once she hears that noise. (She's rather odd about noises in general) I've tried turning all of the noises off on my camera but it still makes this high pitched mechanical noise when it zooms and she hates it. Maybe if I back up far enough she won't mind so much though. We shall see This is going to be fun. I shall do some experimenting tomorrow

Real Name
    Natalie

I understand. My late Great Dane had an aversion, and when the lens tried to focus, he would turn his head away, it never failed. He was so beautiful, but I never really got a great photo of him because of his fear of the camera. I wish you better luck.

Real Name
    Claudio

Hi there..i'm new to all this...but i really liked the idea of getting down low for a different view... i love the close ups on pets to..i dont know if im right here but if you could shoot maybe from a little above to get that nice green grass rather than the fence it would give it a better feel to..i think even those small woods in the background would make for some awesome pics especially noting Cas's color...but as i say..i dunno if im right with this...gonna post a pic of my little dog Moemfi..used a 35mm lens nice and close up..works fast..so movement isnt huge prob especially with burst..i picked this all up today just looking on internet..great advice...quicker lens has helped me out big time to get better shots. She kept moving head everytime i clicked away..so burst helped out.

My Dog Cas

Nikon D5100 35mm lens SS 1/125 F1.8 ISO 200