Thread: Iso 16,000 !!!!

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

Iso 16,000 !!!!

Recently started using Sony NEX-7 and RX-1 Both are some kind of amazing. This image was made at Epcot in one of the rides, hand held from a slowly moving ride ... would pause at times.

Used the 50 1.8 at f 1.8, 1/125 sec and ISO 16000.

The RX-1 has even lower noise and will be giving it a good workout next week at Epcot. Will also be trying the Voigtlander 35 1.2 which becomes a 50 on the NEX-7 Hope to be able to post some good ones

Comments welcome and much appreciated
    alIso 16,000 !!!!

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Re: Iso 16,000 !!!!

Exciting Alfred; how do you rate the autofocus performance on the RX-1? I'm longing for one and autofocus performance is top of my shortlist of why I should wait to pick one up until version 2. Really looking forward to your review on that Voigtlander...

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

Hi Robert The RX-1 also uses contrast detection so it will never be as good as an DSLR for action, otherwise works well.

I do use the assisted manual focus for many images. Image quality is superb !!

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Amazing for 16k ISO! Is this some kind of trickery with the way Sony rates the ISO on the camera? I don't know a lot about compacts but I had always thought the ISO performance from the small sensors was considered a drawback.

I suppose with the price of these cameras and the higher end lens that are now available for them we can expect these great results.

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by BCrose View Post
    Amazing for 16k ISO! Is this some kind of trickery with the way Sony rates the ISO on the camera? I don't know a lot about compacts but I had always thought the ISO performance from the small sensors was considered a drawback.

I suppose with the price of these cameras and the higher end lens that are now available for them we can expect these great results.
    From one pic it is difficult to tell. I do have my suspicions as to how they classify the ISO, as it seems to be the new 'pixel count' in terms of selling cameras and we know how that was 'manipulated' by some manufacturers.

The shot is good, but clearly it is not totally devoid of lighting, and I rather suspect that the results might be different and show more noise in other circumstances.

Nevertheless, well done for grabbing a shot under such adverse conditions.

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

I guys I have one in my blog right our of the camera with no processing, just resized (Casaforns.com)

The sensor is APC size and I think is the best out there !! Even the point and shoot Sony RX-100 can go up to 800 very clean. With my Canon G12 I was uncomfortable going over 100 !!!