Thread: Jet-setting, Glam, Rock 'n'Roll, Supermodel Shoot

Real Name
    Terry

Jet-setting, Glam, Rock 'n'Roll, Supermodel Shoot

Okay, here’s how it really went!

Trip out to see the grandkids.

“Oh Papa, can we come over sometime to do another photo shoot?”
    “Yeah, sure, anytime you want. Just let me know when you can come and we’ll set it up!”
    “Okay, we’ll go pack our stuff!”
    “But wait, I don’t have the studio set up… you have to ask your mom and dad… my camera batteries are dead… there is way too much magnetic interference… sunspots are occurring… um, er, uh…”
    “Okay Papa, we’re ready to go spend the night with you! We have our modeling bags packed!”

A quick consultation of the Papa’s Handbook to confirm Papas never say no…

Fortunately my “studio” is easy up. The hard part is moving all the furniture in the house out on the back deck!

So it was just a quickie set-up because it was getting late! Simple set-up. Black BG so I wouldn’t have to mess with lighting it. Large softbox for key, smaller for fill, kicker/hairlight strip over the top of the background stand, a couple of test shots, and the models take the stage!

This shot my beloved #2 granddaughter picked of and for her self. She chose her wardrobe, did her own hair styling. She personally retouched it and directed the final post production under Papa’s close scrutiny (she is already a wizard with a clone stamp and healing brush)! She has a blast doing it and has already asked for more retouching work! Of course, she insisted on a print and a frame to go with it for her “I Love Me wall”! These Jet-setting, Rock ‘n Roll, Glam Supermodels sure are demanding! She is 12 going on 27!

I guess next she’ll be asking for more money!

Love them always. In the final analysis, love is always the answer.

Please feel free to comment on her work! And make it brutal! She already thinks she is the next Annie Leibovitz!

Real Name
    Espen

Nice story.

You know your lighting and all. If I was to improve on it (and I would not because me and studio lights have yet to be introduced), there are two things - one that popped out immediately as I first saw it, the other after a second look.

Her pose is perhaps a bit strained. She bends her neck and seems to be peeking into a window a bit too low for her.

The second thing is the light. The light hitting her from straight above and gives a bit too much highlight exactly on the top of her head. I miss a little backlight to accentuate her wonderful hair.

Perhaps crop it even closer? I liked the striped sweater, the hair and face, but bring all of it a bit closer if you please. Might give it a bit more punch.

Best regards,
    Espen

Real Name
    Terry

Re: Jet-setting, Glam, Rock 'n'Roll, Supermodel Shoot

Hi Espen!

Hey thank you for taking the time to comment.

If I’m reading you right, you are saying I should have tried backlighting her instead of top lighting for kicking? We may shoot a little more today if they ever get out of bed! I’ll see if I can get that set up.

To be honest, I struggled with the crop for some reason. Usually I don’t have that problem. I may have been paying more attention to Granddaughter instead of the photo. But I agree with your assessment. I did what you suggested and found the crop (finally) I felt comfortable with.

I’m going to post another version with the top of her head burned down a bit, the shirt burned down a bit, and a different crop. I think I like it better.

Thank you for your suggestions Espen. Right on the $$!

Last edited by Loose Canon; 24th February 2013 at 02:23 PM.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

When it comes to paying them, always offer multiples of the starting salary (as long as it is zero).
    Nice pics, wish I me a decent studio space. Envy.
    Graham

Real Name
    Zen

Not much to complain about here. I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I see nothing wrong with the original version. To me, the crop seems too "chopped" in the 2d version.

Nice shot, IMHO.

Zen

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Graham!

Good plan! I can easily add up a bunch of zeros and its less painful to cut the check! Envy? Well, when Lovely and Charming Bride has to go outside to sit on her couch...

Zen, than you for taking the time to comment. Neither crop is permanent yet (thank you awesome crop tool in CS6!).
    I'll keep your comment in mind as I put another eye to it.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Terry, nicely done.

Karm