Thread: Red Ninja

Real Name
    Andrew

Red Ninja

Not sure if I've put this in the right spot?!

Anyhoo - more playing with multiple flashes, and coloured gels. Thought something like this might make a nice addition as a print to the boy's bedroom.

The key light is raw flash, with no gel. But I used a red gel on the back up light (which is why you see those tinted highlights in the shadow of the figure).

Two problems - 1. Have I blown the red channel too badly? I can still see detail in quite a bit of it, but I need a fresh set of eyes to look. 2. I like this 1x1 crop, and I have a desperately hard time finding a frame that will house a photo in 1x1 - especially one that may look good in a child's room!!

Red Ninja

PS - any other C&C welcome too, of course!!
    Last edited by Andrew76; 24th February 2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Added PS

Real Name
    Jim

Re: Red Ninja

I've bought a lot of frames at the local thrift store. Wood, metal, plastic, all types, most with glass. I chose mostly wood, and painted them all black for our picture wall. Some are gold colored, which I hung in the corridor. The ones I left unpainted wood are for the bedroom.

You can also get a custom frame at the local decorator supply store. Any size or shape. Poster frames can be found at the big box discount store.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Jim! Hadn't really thought about that. I've got a couple shops that I pick up my frames from, and never really venture outside of them. Good idea!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The red channel looks okay to me, Andrew. Regarding your frame dilemma, consider cropping at the top below the top of the head to emphasize the glaring eyes. Then add considerable space to the left and some to the right if needed to result in a horizontal orientation that could be used in a standard frame.

If you can increase the separation between the gloved fist and the background, the photo will be considerably improved.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Mike, good idea with the cropping, and I'm going to try and brighten up that fist just a little bit. I see what you mean.

Real Name
    Lex

My lifelong LEGO adoration is probably coloring my opinion, but I really like this shot. The red channel only seems blown in a few places. Since the model's smooth plastic without a lot of detail, I don't think it's a problem. Love the highlights/flares on his hood. They create a nice semicircular slash through his eye to focus the viewer. The red highlights on his gloves are another great detail, but I'd second Mike's final suggestion.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hey, thanks Lex! Appreciate the feedback. Yes, today's project is going to be to work on that hand. Shouldn't take long....