Real Name
    Jordan

Bubbles

Bubbles

Bubbles

Real Name
    Shane

Re: Bubbles

Love the blue one! I just seems clearer to me and I am not normally a 'blue' girl...

How did you capture this shot? I assume this was a Macro lens but what were your camera settings?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Both are stunning in their own way. In the blue one, consider blurring the group of small bubbles at the very bottom of the frame. They distract my eye from the important, slightly larger bubble that is positioned according to the Rule of Thirds. It's really interesting that the red photo also has a bubble of the same size that anchors the image. Probably not an accident, huh.

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

Agree that both look stunning, do prefer the blue one !! Sweet !!

Real Name
    Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Love the blue one! I just seems clearer to me and I am not normally a 'blue' girl...

How did you capture this shot? I assume this was a Macro lens but what were your camera settings?
    Glad you like it.
    I took these photos on the kitchen table, with my D7000 mounted on a tripod, using 50 f/1.4 prime.
    It is not exactly a macro lens as we all know, but I needed that really narrow depth it can provide.
    I shot RAW+Fine, keeping ISO at 100, speed 1/100 and aperture between 2.0 and 2.5 to achieve shallow DOF.I could have gone even “shallower”, but at 1.4 that lens goes really soft.
    The rest is water with some sunflower oil in it, stirred in a glass bowl and a colorful kitchen table cloth.
    I discovered (for myself) that when I add a couple of drops of liquid soap the oil stains tend to consolidate faster. That fact has some relation to the reduction of the surface tension of the liquid when the soap is added, I guess.
    The bowl was placed between two piles of books so that the surface of the water was approximately 20 centimeters above table surface.
    As for the “blue one”, it is my favorite as well, although I have to admit I achieved that result accidently.
    I was processing one of the files in CS6 and while applying saturation adjustment layer, switched the preset mode to cyanotype.
    Thank you for your interest.