Thread: Gannets at Bass Rock

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

Gannets at Bass Rock

This is one amazing place just of the coast of Scotland. Difficult to get there because of the weather. On my tripped we lucked out by being the fourth in twenty nine to land on The Rock. Some are canceled others make it to The Rock but are unable to land.

At The Rock there are gannets everywhere, you get pecked at while making to the top since the birds nest by the walkway. Once you get on top the naturalist has to clear an area for you to walk around This image was made on the way back, the boat crew will feed the gannets and they dive by the boat.

If you make the trip be aware there will be lots of splashing from the usually rough sea conditions and need to cover your camera. Wide angle lenses are in order and something like a Hydrophobia cover should be used. Also on the way back we took lots of spray and some green water in the boat. Take a waterproof backpack. Well worth the effort !!!Gannets at Bass Rock

Canon 1DMk4 17-40 L
    f 8.0 1/1600sec
    ISO 400
    Manual exp
    focal length 17mm
    Last edited by Donald; 22nd February 2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: formatted to align text away from image

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Gannets at Bass Rock

Magnificent image, it makes me want to go there.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Excellent composition to get the rock and in the background with all the birds in close proximity in the foreground. The rock is something I see often as it's close by where I live, but I've never been out to it.

Real Name
    Lex

Brilliant shot. Clear subject in the foreground, interesting midground, and very recognizable background. All sharp with no motion blur. I'm not sure if PP included darkening the sea, but if so, good move. It's much more strongly distinguished from the sky, and provides a better backdrop for the gannets.

Real Name
    Kevin

Fantastic, and absolutely dependent on having the right lense on camera. Had you not prepared properly in advance, it would have been a very different shot