Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assorted Birds...

Real Name
    Joe

Assorted Birds...

I shot these a couple of days ago at Circle B Bar Reserve. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Roseate Spoonbill

Assorted Birds...

American White Ibis

Assorted Birds...

Turkey Vulture

Assorted Birds...

Snowy Egret

Assorted Birds...

Great Blue Heron with angry snake

Assorted Birds...

Not sure on the ID of this one, hope someone can help

Assorted Birds...

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Assorted Birds...
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 22nd February 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Assorted Birds...

Joe - You've established such a high standard in terms of the quality of your wildlife images that we look at a set like this and think, 'Oh, some more of Joe's work' and the risk (if that's the right word) is that we start taking that quality for granted.

I'm not the world's best judge of wildlife images, but these have to be right up there. Excellent stuff.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Joe,

Donald has a good point - you always make the most of what's on offer and where that isn't ideal, you do as good as is possible - these are well up to your usual high standard.

Great Blue Heron with angry snake
    I suspect the snake wasn't angry for long, although I have to wonder if they are eaten alive, why some prey don't "munch their way out" - does the Heron whack it about a bit until it is dead, or at least stunned?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Bobo

Great set Joe, keep 'em coming.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Joe,

Another great set (how many ways to say that?). I THINK your mystery bird is a long billed dowitcher, but would appreciate other views.

Dave

Real Name
    Susan

I agree with everyone - these are exceptional as always. And like Dave, I'm wondering about the snake - is it dead before being swallowed?

Real Name
    Christina

Amazing... as always..

My observation strictly as a bird admirer, and a 'record-photographer' only. Joe, I really enjoyed each of your photographs, the Roseate Spoonbill stretched out is fabulous; such a stunning water-bird! The Great Blue Heron with snake, my goodness, THAT was a great moment to capture like you did. I might've felt somewhat heartened by the fact it picked it up and not me! The Sharp Shinned Hawk also wonderful to see.

Real Name
    Orlando

Joe,
    I've seen enough of your photo's to say that perhaps "you" should start telling us how you shot some of these! Especially the ones in flight. I have yet to capture birds in flight with such focus.
    Since you force me to find some minor defect in such beautiful photo's (oh the agony), then I would say it would be the Turkey Vulture. It has a slight blue tint to it.

Real Name
    Matthew

I didn't think your bird pics could get much better than they have been lately. Well, I was mistaken. Phenomenal shots my friend!

Real Name
    Chuck

Joe, beautiful photos. The GBH with the snake is classic. I am guessing that your mystery bird is a Common Snipe. The striped head and barred flanks are typical of this species. And the habitat seems to fit as well.

Seems you have a great supply of birds to photograph and you make the most of it.

chuck

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Ironically, the one bird that you can't identify is my favorite photo. Gorgeous portrait among all beautiful photos!

Real Name
    steve

Hi Joe, could you please STOP posting these shots.. i am getting envious of them all !..lol
    but seriously , another great collection, keep them coming

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Joe - You've established such a high standard in terms of the quality of your wildlife images that we look at a set like this and think, 'Oh, some more of Joe's work' and the risk (if that's the right word) is that we start taking that quality for granted.

I'm not the world's best judge of wildlife images, but these have to be right up there. Excellent stuff.
    Thank you for your comments Donald. I am learning more each day. The biggest improvements to my photography had been paying attention to light and studying others nature photographers work. Thanks again for taking time to view and comment, very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Joe,

Donald has a good point - you always make the most of what's on offer and where that isn't ideal, you do as good as is possible - these are well up to your usual high standard.

I suspect the snake wasn't angry for long, although I have to wonder if they are eaten alive, why some prey don't "munch their way out" - does the Heron whack it about a bit until it is dead, or at least stunned?

Cheers,
    Hello Dave, thank you for your comments. Regarding the snake and heron, from watching them interact the heron tires out the snake finally grasping the head and killing it. After it is rendered motionless it is swallowed.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Great set Joe, keep 'em coming.
    Thanks Bobo, very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Hi Joe,

Another great set (how many ways to say that?). I THINK your mystery bird is a long billed dowitcher, but would appreciate other views.

Dave
    Hello my friend, thank you for viewing and commenting. I have looked at the dowitcher trying to identify that bird but the white stripe on the head didn't seem to fit.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by pasusan View Post
    I agree with everyone - these are exceptional as always. And like Dave, I'm wondering about the snake - is it dead before being swallowed?
    Hello Susan, thank you for viewing my images and commenting. The snake is killed before it is swallowed. The heron keeps working it till it can grab the head to kill it.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Amazing... as always..
    Thanks Christina, very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Carole M View Post
    My observation strictly as a bird admirer, and a 'record-photographer' only. Joe, I really enjoyed each of your photographs, the Roseate Spoonbill stretched out is fabulous; such a stunning water-bird! The Great Blue Heron with snake, my goodness, THAT was a great moment to capture like you did. I might've felt somewhat heartened by the fact it picked it up and not me! The Sharp Shinned Hawk also wonderful to see.
    Thank you Carole, I appreciated your taking time to view and comment. I love being out in natural places and viewing nature, photographing it provides the memories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast