Thread: Bridges

Real Name
    Michael

Bridges

Bridges

What do you think of the composition? Would a polarizing filter improve it? For me the place has fond memories, one reason for taking it.

Michael

Re: Bridges

If possible, I would have liked to see just a fraction more of the bridge on the left side, Michael.

Back when I shot with film, I did use polarizers to add a little zap to a scene. And I have experimented with them on occasions when shooting digital.

But I've never found much extra from a polarizer that I couldn't do better with a little bit of a tweak during editing.

However, this includes careful selection of the exposure settings. Then shot in Raw followed by a little editing with layers and masks or layer blend mode variations.

With your scene, a little Local Contrast Enhancement may be worth trying. Perhaps Unsharp Mask around 20 or 30% and 30 or 40 radius (as a starting point).

Alternatively, I might try creating a duplicate layer and adjusting the Blend Mode to Soft Light around 50 or 60%.

In either case, watch the highlights in the clouds for any over exposure.

There are other options, such as a rather gentle bit of HDR from two or three shots, but carefully taken on a tripod.

The basic scene looks good. It's just a tiny bit of extra zap that might be worth considering.