Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Architectural black-and-whites

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Architectural black-and-whites

My wife took me on a walk through a pleasing residential area in late 2011. I liked these two images enough that I converted them to black-and-white a few days ago.

C&C encouraged as always, though I have nothing to ask.

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

Re: Architectural black-and-whites

Hi Mike Very nice, like the composition and mood. Might want to bring out some detail in the dark areas, should be able to pull some with curves? Does look excellent as is and perfect images for the conversion.

Composition is excellent.

Thank you, Geoff and Alfred!

Quote Originally Posted by Aforns View Post
    Might want to bring out some detail in the dark areas, should be able to pull some with curves?
    Good idea, Alfred, especially in the second one. I'm new enough at making conversions that I still too often have to return to an image a second time to get it closer to its potential.

Real Name
    John

Both are very nice. I can see flecks of sunlight on both, yet very subtle in black and white. Did that spoil it for you with the color versions?

No, John. I like the color versions of both images. Though my post-processing of the color version of the first photo isn't as good as in the black-and-white, I could improve the color version.

My reason for making a monochrome is always that I intend for the conversion to be as nice or nicer than the color version. Most often, the two versions are equally nice in different ways. That's perhaps because I don't yet "see" in black-and-white on a regular basis before releasing the shutter.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    No, John. I like the color versions of both images. Though my post-processing of the color version of the first photo isn't as good as in the black-and-white, I could improve the color version.

My reason for making a monochrome is always that I intend for the conversion to be as nice or nicer than the color version. Most often, the two versions are equally nice in different ways. That's perhaps because I don't yet "see" in black-and-white on a regular basis before releasing the shutter.
    Old architecture, mainly cathedrals. and formal clothing has a way of making me see in black and white.

Thanks to Al's suggestion, I provided more detail in the shadow areas in both photos.