Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some of my 2012 wildlife photos plus text as a PDF

Some of my 2012 wildlife photos plus text as a PDF

I produced a slideshow plus narration, which I did very badly, of a selection from my 2012 wildlife photos.

Creating slideshows has been discussed recently in another thread. The show worked fine; it was just the commentary which was a problem.

Some people who have seen the show said they would like a different format which enabled them to 'wander' between images/text at their own pace instead of having timed slides.

So I have produced a PDF version using a desktop publishing programme (many years ago I was a printer).

This has worked when burnt to a disc; but I then thought about an internet version. I don't want to use one of the social media sites and it seems that the places where I normally upload photos won't accept PDF.

Therefore, I have placed my production on Mediafire; but it only works with a link, which is below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nbz76wdlkr2nj

There may be the odd mistake etc with this production but my main question is whether this link works for other people.

The linked folder contains 4 sub files of the 4 local wildlife sites which I visited most often last year.

Trying to test the link produces mixed results for me when attempting to view the files, but as a last resort right click then choose View from the drop down menu seems to work everytime.

Probably mostly my fault as I'm still trying to understand Mediafire and there doesn't appear to be any idiot's guide to using the site.

However, any comments on this experiment?

ps. I used a fairly high quality resolution (150 ppi) as I wasn't quite sure how the PDF conversion would work and that was their suggested option. So the pages might load a little slowly.

Real Name
    Keith

Re: Some of my 2012 wildlife photos plus text as a PDF

I tried your link Geoff and it worked very well. I was using an ancient laptop with not much memory and it loaded one of your files in a couple of minutes and it opened very quickly giving me a fine display. I chose the Frogmore and Bowcombe Creeks file. The pages opened very quickly so should open like lightning on a more modern machine.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

The link worked fine and I did a preview of the second one - very good apart from the fact that of all the insects wasps are the only ones I dislike.

Real Name
    Christina

Yes, the link worked just fine.

Real Name
    Anthony Tam

Geoff,
    Link worked fine on my iPad2. Took some time to download but I suspect that its due in part to the slower that usual Internet speed here in Ahmadabad, India. Pages opened up fine however photos can't be enlarged like I normally could using the pinch style but had to use the + and - magnification signs instead. Otherwise looked really nice.
    Regards
    Anthony.

Real Name
    Rudi

Hi Geoff,
    Very educatif!!!!
    We have been a few times in Devon area over the past years. More to 'explore' next time..
    Regards, Rudi

Real Name
    Susan

It worked fine for me Geoff. Interesting photos!

And... This gave me an idea for slideshows as I produce them after every trip we take to share with friends and family. Up till now I've just been making albums on Google's Picasa, but I like the narration (text) better than just using captions. With LR4 I should be able to make a book into a PDF and upload it (somewhere). Thanks for posting this.

Real Name
    Bobo

Tried TOR but asking for password.

Real Name
    Paul

Works for me, Geoff. Well put together. My only mild complaint is that the text is a bit artsy and makes it somewhat difficult to read. Which in essence detracts from viewing the images.

Thanks for the comments. It seems to be working for most people.

But I do find Mediafire to be a little quirky sometimes. Do you have a Mediafire account, Bobo? I wonder if this is why it asks for your password? Sometimes I don't get the 'Do you want to download or view' option so I have to right click a file then select View.

There is a full screen option on Mediafire but this isn't easily obvious; although selecting F11 from my keyboard also produces full screen view.

I did deliberately use one slightly odd type face line on the covers. Because I titled the project Miniature Monsters, I used Freaky as a rather scary looking font. And Boulevard heavy.

The main text is Verdana which is similar to Arial. But I have noticed something odd about viewing PDF files. At a reduced size, type can appear slightly odd which causes a bit of a shadow effect. But this disappears at full screen size. Not sure of the reason though.

On the original production, I created a slight tinted background but this appears to have disappeared when I selected the Create Web Option. Probably did this automatically to save space. It is there in the standard PDF version.

And on a couple of pages, I see that my 2 point coloured border is a 1 point black border. Which was a mistake with the original. It creates a thin black border by default and I have to amend that to what I require on each page. Which is something that can easily get overlooked.

In theory, I suppose I could create a Master Page default which would include this. However, I haven't got around to fully understanding Master Page settings yet.

In case you need to convert PDFs to text or web pages to PDF, you could use this tool http://kitpdf.com/. I highly recommend it.