Thread: High Test

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

High Test

Not at all my typical type of photography. However, I could do nothing but industrial photography and be very happy.

Captured in 2011 and converted today to black-and-white. C&C encouraged, though I have nothing to ask.

High Test

Real Name
    Shane

Re: High Test

I like this composition and your conversion. Circles enclosed within a triangle - I think this might be straight out of the composition 'textbook'

Others have alluded to it, but I wonder if you might share your conversion process with us since you have been immersed in the process for your own images and it is fresh in your mind.

Thank you, Shane, but I have to confess that I have never heard of circles enclosed within a triangle, though I do know about imaginary triangles. Worse yet, I don't even see the imaginary triangle that you mention.

I don't remember anyone asking about my post-processing, but the following is the basic workflow:

1) Make adjustments to the color photo as if it were to be displayed
    2) Convert using whatever color filter works best
    3) Adjust overall brightness usually using the Curve tool, sometimes using a Brightness slider
    4) Increase texture, if needed such as in the above photo, using High Pass in Overlay mode (Lightroom users apparently have a Texture slider available to them that they would use instead)
    5) Adjust overall contrast using a combination of the Curve and Levels tools
    6) Dodge and burn as needed
    7) Apply toning if desired
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 18th February 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Real Name
    Shane

I have been reading Achieving Photographic Style by Michael Freeman (1984) and when talking about composition he says "two or more interlinking geometric forms, such as a circle and a triangle aid cohesion". I just read this bit today during a four hour power outage after the laptop battery died...

In your image I see the base of the triangle being a straight line across the bottom of the two silver hooks and if you follow those points up to the top of the hooks (where the chain attaches) you will see a triangle. The center of the hooks are circles as is the black piece in the back. You also have ovals spanning the composition horizontally in the chain links themselves. I don't have my industrial terminology down so please excuse me if I am mistaken in my words. In the case of this image I think that the shapes makes it cohesive but also adds tension due to the perspective/depth of the various shapes.

The book is very interesting and was available at my local library.

Thank you for the workflow for your black & white conversion. I do something similar without the increased texture step which may be what helps to make your conversions 'pop'.

Real Name
    Bobo

Very nice conversion.

Alluding to technique? I did ask a while back but...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Alluding to technique? I did ask a while back but...
    Oops! Sorry about that!

Real Name
    Shane

Bobo, thanks for confirming that I am not imagining things

Mike, It is nice to know that a beautiful conversion can be done without a $200US plug in!