Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nik plug-ins

Real Name
    Dave

Nik plug-ins

Hi,

I've seen occasional references to Nik plug-ins on CiC (especially Silver Efex). My expertise in B&W is minimal, so I'm not interested in Silver Efex, but I wonder if their other products for sharpening, noise reduction, and so on still offer something extra? I use LR4, which now seems to be viewed as so good that there may be little call for additional plug-ins that replicate its functionality.

Any views?

Dave

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Nik plug-ins

Hi, Dave

I use LR4, PS CS6, and the entire Nik packaged series. I'll sometimes use the noise reduction in Dfin 2 if I'm not happy with the NR in LR, and sometimes its better because of it's control point precision. But this is not a frequent occurrence. Color Efex 2 can do some interesting things with dual toning and special effects (like fog) but I dont use it much. I love Silver Efex. The real advantage of the Nik plug-ins is that it allows very precise regional control via the control points, without having to resort to a layer mask.
    Last edited by kdoc856; 18th February 2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Sharon

Silver Efex may change yourmind about B&W Dave...I love it...I also have Colour efex2 and it is really good too.

I much prefer the Nik plug ins to the likes of Topaz and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I am a convert to Silver Efex Pro and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I had a good look at what Colour Efex is all about and it, too, looks a wonderful tool.

I looked at Silver Efex Pro, recommended by Donald. Well long story short I did a trial of a couple of the plugins and liked them very much. At that time it was cheaper to buy the complete package than to buy two separate items. I ended up buying the Complete collection for LR4 and love the whole thing. Give the free trails a go and see if you like them. I would suggest though that you watch the tutorials on how to use them before you download the free trials. You'll have a little longer to use them that way.

Tutorials: http://www.niksoftware.com/learnmore...nars/archives/

Free Trials: http://www.niksoftware.com/downloads...?view=software
    Last edited by Carl in Louisiana; 18th February 2013 at 06:23 PM.

Real Name
    Arslan Türegün

Color Efex and Silver Efex. Both really great

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks, lady and gentlemen. I will look further - the idea of viewing the tutorials before downloading the trial sounds like good advice - I actually don't know what control points are .

I think sometimes it's better to learn step by step (get fully up to speed with LR and then expand), and sometimes better to assemble the best tools you can and take it from there.
    Regards,

Dave

I will second (third?) the NIK plugins. I also prefer the Control Points to PS layers. The NIK website has a ton of information. I have found that they are not really tutorials. The Video2brain website has very good NIK tutorials. If you view intensely for a month or two, it is very cost effective.

Real Name
    Phil Page

I'm using Color Efex and Silver Efex for all my B&W conversions...