Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Monochromes from Nova Scotia

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Monochromes from Nova Scotia

The only thing that is common to these three scenes is that they were captured in Nova Scotia. A lot of scenery there lends really well to color photos, but possibilities for making monochromes can be found virtually anywhere. Captured in 2010 and converted to monochrome days ago.

C&C is encouraged, though I have nothing to ask.

Photo #1: Falls Brook, Usige Ban Provencial Park, Cape Breton Island

Photo #2

Photo #3: Marie Joseph Harbor
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 15th February 2013 at 05:17 AM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Monochromes from Nova Scotia

I like your photos Mike! I'm partial to number 2 especially. You're really getting a grasp of your conversions. I wish I could say the same for mine.

On a side note, how was your trip to the East of our beautiful country? Lived here all my life, and have never been East. My wife and I would LOVE to get there one day when the kids are a little older. Although, she has other motives - I want to see the scenery, and take some photos, she wants scallops, and lobster.

OK, I want those things too.

Real Name
    Paul

I too like #2, Mike. Although....have you thought about a crop just above the top edge of the window frames? Otherwise it suits me well. =} Last is an interesting image as well, top of the hill is not where you expect to see a boat.

It's so nice that both of you are partial to photo #2. Not everyone likes such minimalist photos.

Paul: One reason the crop you suggest doesn't work for me is that I think a strong element of the photo is that the A-frame shape of the building is similar to the A-frame (though also curved) shape of the sign. That wouldn't be apparent in the crop that you suggest.

Andrew: If there is something in particular that those of us who make monochromes might be able to help you with, don't hesitate to bring it up.

As for Nova Scotia, we absolutely loved the area! We spent most of the time in Cape Breton Island because we love hiking and driving in the mountains, but we liked everywhere we went. I posted two other photos from Cape Breton Island here and here, but didn't mention that that is where I captured them.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 15th February 2013 at 05:20 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

#2 reminded me of one of my very few colour images. It was taken in France in 2011. It is the second one in the set in this post.

Like the second one above, I was inspired by some basic, symmetrical shapes. In my case, I thought colour was an important part of the image. I think B & W is the right way to present Mike's image above.

Donald,

There is yet another reason for you to compare our two images -- their similar color. I have never been inclined to post a color and monochrome version of the same image in the same thread, but I simply have to do that now that I've seen your comments and your similar photo. Thank you for sharing them!

It's also interesting that both images present a similar post-processing challenge -- displaying texture effectively despite that the photo was captured in very flat light. It took me awhile to figure out that issue but I think I've got it down now.

Real Name
    Andrew

OOOH, I like the colour one too! Almost better then the B+W! Would it be worth cloning out the little blue 'ADT' sticker from beside the door lock? I just think it would make it an all around, 'old-tyme' style shot. But maybe not.

The sticker pertains to a Chubb product, but you would have to blow up the full-size file to know that. If I were to remove it, I would do that in the black-and-white version. I like in the color version that it complements the color of the sign displaying the address.