Thread: Nikon 50mm f/1.4 a most interesting lens

Real Name
    E. James

Nikon 50mm f/1.4 a most interesting lens

Recently acquired a Nikon 50mm f/1.4G. This lens seems to sometimes disappoint and sometimes really come through. I find good performance from f/5.6 through f/7.1 so far. I would be interested to see what others think. The 50mm f/1.8 is much cheaper and receives somewhat better reviews than the f/1.4 but I don't have the f/1.8, I have the f/1.4.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Nikon 50mm f/1.4 a most interesting lens

I ended up with the /f1.8 50D. I found that while the f/1.4 was 2/3 stop faster, it was not as sharp wide open and you had to step down to get better sharpness (but frankly that was shooting a target off a tripod). In real life handheld shooting, both performed well, and in my case it was really about the fact that the f/1.4 runs for a lot more money.

I generally use the 50mm for street photography, so I could not justify the additional cost. I understand that the f/1.8 50G is even sharper than the f/1.8 50D, but have not shot with it. The build quality of the f/1.4 is very nice.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Nikon 50mm f/1.4 a most interesting lens

There is very little in it between the two lenses - possibly you might notice it in the lab but out and about as Manfred says you would never spot it, hence why many review the 1.8 higher than the 1.4.

Its not that its a better lens its the fact that you get pretty much the same performance for less money.

These tests are from Photozone:

Wide open there is little in the resolution figures to suggest that either would win hands down in a shoot-out and while they do improve as you stop down there is equally nothing to suggest that you can't use either lens wide open and get a good photograph. No they won't be as sharp and issues such as focusing accuracy and DoF (more so on the 1.4) will play a significant part in the resulting shot but that is not a fault with the lens more a case of the photographer being aware of how it performs, being able to understand how this will affect the end shot and being able to get the most from the parameters.