Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Summer 2011

Real Name
    Emily

Summer 2011

Here's a picture I took back in Summer 2011. What do you think?

Summer 2011

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Summer 2011

Nicely done, Emily. I like the subtle color of early evening you have captured. Perhaps a bit more room infront of her to walk into would have improved the feel, but I do like it.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 14th February 2013 at 01:35 AM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hi Emily. I'll agree with Paul, it's a nice shot, but generally speaking, when you have some sort of 'motion' in a shot, you want the empty space to be in front of the direction of motion, not behind. In this case, the young girl is 'leaving the picture' and so your eye is also drawn out of the picture, and it soon loses your attention.

Also, you've uploaded it at a pretty small size, so I can't be entirely certain, but is it a little soft? I'm trying to find a point of focus, which I thought would be the girl, but she looks a little blurry to me. May just be that it's a small photo though.

Nice work.

Real Name
    John

Nice image, I like the leading lines. This would be best presented in a series of shots.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Pleasant colors, as some have already mentioned.

I disagree with those who feel that more space is needed in front of her. That's because this image is not telling a story about where she is going. It's telling a story about where she has been. Hence, the importance of her footsteps in the sand.

An issue I have with the photo has to do with the importance of her left hand on her head. Perhaps she is brushing her hair back. Her arm position attracts the eye because otherwise it would be more like her right arm. Unfortunately, there is so little separation between her head and background that the detail is lost. Also the strong line of the background occurs exactly where her hand and head are, resulting in a collision that weakens the photo. A different perspective would have been required to eliminate this problem.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 14th February 2013 at 01:48 PM.