Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: hmmm, im happy now!

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

hmmm, im happy now!

Hi all again, i probebly should of put this in the other thread but it warrents a diffrent title

Any ways if you seen my previous thread you would have seen how bad the photos were. So i redid the shoot. Im not 100% happy but it sure is a big improvement, and hope you agree Mike!

hmmm, im happy now!
    wineglass second photo shoot attempt by AllenLennon, on Flickr

hmmm, im happy now!
    prob could of brought the brightness down on this one.

hmmm, im happy now!

hmmm, im happy now!

And here is my set up.
    hmmm, im happy now!
    setup for wine glass by AllenLennon, on Flickr

The backdrop stand is a portable clothes hanger thingy i got from a cheapy shop, got two of them, so i can use (light) table tops as a basis for tabletop photography. And please accept my apologies the state in my room. The red container was for the waste of water.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: hmmm, im happy now!

Yikes! I can't believe you placed the glass on top of an inverted glass. If my wife saw me doing that, she'd divorce me.

I agree that these photos are much, much better. I hope you'll purchase Light: Science and Magic to have a whole world of other lighting schemes (albeit more difficult ones) opened up to you.

I especially like the look of the glass in your very last photo (the photo demonstrating the setup). Notice the clarity of the glass and the liquid. So consider exploring that possibility as well.

In the first three images, notice that the liquid is not level in the glass. The combination of perhaps an unlevel area in the floor combined with the stool and the two glasses renders the liquid unlevel relative to the glass.

You're getting closer and closer!

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

here you go mike:

hmmm, im happy now!
    Untitled by AllenLennon, on Flickr

hmmm, im happy now!
    IMG_4905 by AllenLennon, on Flickr

these were from the shoot, i didnt re shoot so same lighting

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I really do like the look of the last two much better than the others in this thread or your other thread.

The lighting on the last one is especially so nice that it merits further critique. I would get rid of the bright reflection on the left side of the glass.

Notice that you still aren't getting definition on the entire stem or its imitation reflection. Try blowing the image up to about 200%, using a very small brush with a soft edge to highlight those edges, and dramatically brightening the selected area. If the data is there, you might be able to effectively bring it out. (I've done that in certain situations and it works.)

Last, use a cloning tool to get rid of everything in the top part of the glass that isn't black. (Obviously, leave the edges and rim as is.) That stuff may not be dirt. It could easily be imperfections in the glass that are showing up in your lighting setup. I regularly have to deal with the same issue, especially when I'm not photographing really expensive crystal.

Real Name
    Greg

Getting real close to being spot on Allen, just those little coulpe of things Mike mentioned and your there.
    Nice one mate.