Hemant

Ready to fly

Ready to fly
    C & C , please. Thanks.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Ready to fly

Hemant

The 'problem' with this one for me is that we have an awful lot of dark grey tones only slightly interspersed with lighter tones. If you look at the total surface area of the image and then look at how much is taken up with the primary subject - it's not a lot. I think you would have needed to get in much closer for that one to work as well as you would have liked.

For us looking at it on here - If we click on it to view it in the Lightbox and then move it around and off the edges of the computer so that we see a significantly cropped image concentrated on the top left area of this frame, I think there is a much better image in there.
    Last edited by Donald; 12th February 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

I don't know if I agree with Donald. The float on the right side brings a bit of balance to the image. I like the full reflections in the water. But then I am no B&W expert. I only like tones to be from black to white in B&W.

I kind of like the image.

Real Name
    Hemant

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Hemant

The 'problem' with this one for me is that we have an awful lot of dark grey tones only slightly interspersed with lighter tones. If you look at the total surface area of the image and then look at how much is taken up with the primary subject - it's not a lot. I think you would have needed to get in much closer for that one to work as well as you would have liked.

For us looking at it on here - If we click on it to view it in the Lightbox and then move it around and off the edges of the computer so that we see a significantly cropped image concentrated on the top left area of this frame, I think there is a much better image in there.
    Thank you, Donald for your input. I was planning on cropping the image like you suggested. The reason I chose not to do it, was because I wanted to include the float in the image to sort of balance the image, and follow the " rule of third" to place the bird trying to fly, appropriately. I guess, I ignored the basic rule- Look @ the complete picture.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hermant, I am ok with your composition too - I can see Donald's point of view, and it does offer an alternative, but I like how you've framed it.

My issue with it is that I can't seem to find anything in focus. I'm wondering if you're AF picked up on one of the droplets being splashed, and left the photo totally soft?

Real Name
    Hemant

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Hermant, I am ok with your composition too - I can see Donald's point of view, and it does offer an alternative, but I like how you've framed it.

My issue with it is that I can't seem to find anything in focus. I'm wondering if you're AF picked up on one of the droplets being splashed, and left the photo totally soft?
    Thank you for your input. I agree, the image is soft. This is one of my earlier shots ( I am still a novice, maturing with practice ), I believe my mode was auto focus. In retrospect, I should have shot this shutter priority, using Dynamic auto focus mode.