Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Plug-ins

Real Name
    John

Plug-ins

Has anyone tried any of these plug-ins, if so how effective were they? I know Scott Kelby showed a demo, posted by one of our members, on how to edit wires, etc.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-photo...ing-skills-si/

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Plug-ins

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Has anyone tried any of these plug-ins, if so how effective were they? I know Scott Kelby showed a demo, posted by one of our members, on how to edit wires, etc.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-photo...ing-skills-si/
    My experience with them is that they seldom work as well as they appear to in the advertisement. Case in point - wire removal - I just use the content aware fill tool - works like a charm every time.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    My experience with them is that they seldom work as well as they appear to in the advertisement. Case in point - wire removal - I just use the content aware fill tool - works like a charm every time.
    But Colin they said "the best seven...".

I know, I've fallen for quite a few marketing blurbs, I just didn't want to take the plunge if someone else had alreday done so.

Real Name
    Arslan Türegün

Hi,
    To play along the photos there are 2 of them.
    I used to use Virtual Photographer a lot with Jasc Paint Shop Pro. It is a nice freeware plug in. I don't know if it is working with CS6 anyway.
    Perfect effects (I think now it is v4 offered for free) is very nice too.

For the wires and or spots like Colin I too prefer "content aware".

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by arslanturegun View Post
    Hi,
    To play along the photos there are 2 of them.
    I used to use Virtual Photographer a lot with Jasc Paint Shop Pro. It is a nice freeware plug in. I don't know if it is working with CS6 anyway.
    Perfect effects (I think now it is v4 offered for free) is very nice too.

For the wires and or spots like Colin I too prefer "content aware".
    Arslan,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Real Name
    Richard

Colin,

Although I love the Content Aware Fill in my Photoshop CS6; the Photoshop Elements 10 version of Content Aware Fill (Content Aware Fill Brush) seems to leave a lot to be desired. Perhaps, I had not used the brush correctly in PSE-10 but it also seems to me that the Content Aware Fill in CS6 (CS5 also) is quite intuitive and has worked better for me.

One of the times that Content Aware Fill of CS6 really seems to shine is when I try replacing the "holes" in a pano. The Content Aware Fill Brush of PSE-10 has not worked as well for me.

Of course, this might be operator error, not any fault with the program...

I am always wary about downloading any "free" program because these programs often come with unexpected "add ons" which invade my computer. While not exactly "malware", these add ons are often distracting and annoying to say the least. Examples of the annoying add-ons are the various search engines that often come with the "free" programs and which, to me, are a PITA. BING is a prime example of a search engine which I absolutely HATE and which has been a fellow traveler on some free programs I tried in the past before I became a little more freeware sophisticated.

BTW: The Scott Kelby YouTube video on Photoshop for Travel Photographers shows a neat way to remove "wires" using the clone stamp tool...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIt1cDw5lLI
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th February 2013 at 04:45 PM.

Real Name
    Søren

My experience with them is that they seldom work as well as they appear to in the advertisement.
    Agree !

There are some very cool plug-ins but an awfull lot of not-all-that-cool tools.
    I've used Nik modules since they apeared on the market, and for some years also modules from OnOne. There're usefull ones, but I've also tried a lot no-good tools.