Thread: Importing RAW+JPEG into Lightroom

Real Name
    Bruce

Importing RAW+JPEG into Lightroom

I shot three photos in RAW + JPEG the other day. This was the first time I shot this way. When I attempted to import my files Lightroom only imported the RAW files not the JPEG.
    After many phone calls (includng to Adobe) I discovered a video put out by the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) that answered my question as to why Lightroom had imported only my RAW files. This is Lightroom's default mode. In order to import both RAW, and JPEG files you need (in Windows) go to Edit then Preferences where you can tell Lightroom to import both the RAW, and JPEG files.
    I hope that this assists someone who may encounter the same problem. Bruce
    Last edited by Digital; 9th February 2013 at 01:06 AM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Importing RAW+JPEG into Lightroom

I always shoot only RAW and I know for immediate viewing and sharing etc jpegs can be useful but I for my work flow once I have transferred the images to lightroom even if I had them I would never use the jpeg versions and I suppose Adobe feel that would be the norm and is why the default is to not import them. Lightrooms philosophy seem to be to avoid duplicates at all cost and sometimes this can be a nuisance but not often.

Be interesting to get comment from the photographers that routinely shoot both. Why?

Real Name
    Bruce

I shot this way as an experiment. I normally shoot JPEG, and RAW files seperately. Normally I do not need RAW, and JPEG images of the same subject. Bruce

Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I always shoot only RAW and I know for immediate viewing and sharing etc jpegs can be useful but I for my work flow once I have transferred the images to lightroom even if I had them I would never use the jpeg versions and I suppose Adobe feel that would be the norm and is why the default is to not import them. Lightrooms philosophy seem to be to avoid duplicates at all cost and sometimes this can be a nuisance but not often.

Be interesting to get comment from the photographers that routinely shoot both. Why?
    I too only record RAW. On a couple of occasions I have recorded both RAW and JPEG (following 'advice' from helpful mentors) but found the default pre-processing of the JPEGs so much not to my taste that I never used even one! I abandoned the process as a waste of space.

Perhaps I'm arrogant but I much prefer the effects of my own RAW adjustments over those decided by the Canon engineers who wrote the default adjustments that are applied (irreversibly) as part of making the JPEGs that are "wired into" the camera's firmware.

Cheers

Tim

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Tim I don't think it is arrogant - maybe it is a Kiwi thing but I suspect not.

Real Name
    Dan

Not arrogant at all. However good the camera picture styles are, they are fixed regardless of the characteristics of the image. Why give up the ability to tailor developing to the specifics of a given image?

I started eons ago, doing B&W film, and I and my friends did all the processing ourselves. When I started doing color in the 1970s, my biggest concern is that I could not manage a color darkroom and had to give up control over the prints. Not that I was all that good at it, but I wanted to try to make the images as I chose.

Real Name
    Richard

I started shooting in JPEG and then began shooting in RAW + JPEG (because I was afraid to shoot RAW alone). It didn't take me long to realize that I never touched the JPEG images and worked eclusively with the RAW images. Now, I shoot RAW alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macmahon View Post
    Perhaps I'm arrogant but I much prefer the effects of my own RAW adjustments over those decided by the Canon engineers who wrote the default adjustments that are applied (irreversibly) as part of making the JPEGs that are "wired into" the camera's firmware.

Cheers

Tim
    Arrogant? Heck no. How could someone else know how you or I want an image to look like? That would be arrogant.

This is why I shoot only RAW - the camera can't read my mind, and it's not very creative.

Glenn