Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B&W

Real Name
    Andrew

B&W

For your critique. I have only commented on posts for the last few weeks, and not posted any photos. Without making excuses, I've been a little creative-less recently. So, I'm not sure if this will meet approval, but it's all I could come up with.

I have a few other tricks up my sleeve with this shot, but was hoping to hear what you think first.

Thanks for looking!

B&W

Real Name
    Jon

Re: B&W

Andrew, if this is what you come up with when you are "creative-less", I can't wait til you are in a "creative" mood I really like this. Great tones and very imaginative. Keep em coming!

Real Name
    Andrew

Well thanks Jon, that's mighty kind of you! Wasn't sure how it would be received, but I kind of like it.

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Shane

Very creative! I second Jon's comment and wish that I was as creative when I wasn't feeling so

Real Name
    Andrew

Well thanks Shane! I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for taking the time to look, and comment!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is really cool!

My current mode of thinking a lot about black-and-white photography makes me want the two words in your photo to be inverted. That may not be the case for a typical person that is not immersed in photography. I imagine you decided to put "white" on top because it helps the composition.

The large amount of space at the top doesn't work for me. If anything, I think I would prefer the larger amount of space at the bottom, though probably not as much as you used here.

If you would capture a mirror image of this arrangement, the results would be disorienting. Hopefully it would be disorienting in an interesting way. Perhaps it would only be disorienting.

Real Name
    Bobo

Really cool. Now go make one for "White Balance" hehe.

OR maybe for all the photographic terms.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hi Mike! Thanks for the feedback. It actually IS a 'mirrored' image (kinda), it was shot on a mirror! The reason that the word 'BLACK' is at the bottom, is because it's actually 'in front' of the word 'WHITE'. Kinda like writing on the streets - 'AHEAD STOP'.

So, it really didn't have anything to do with composition, as it would have looked the same reversed.

Bobo, the idea actually crossed my mind. But I thought it would get a bit old after a while - in fact, I wasn't sure how the Scrabble Letters would look at all. It's not a very original idea, and it seems to be getting a little over-used.

Thanks for the comments gentlemen!!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    The reason that the word 'BLACK' is at the bottom, is because it's actually 'in front' of the word 'WHITE'. Kinda like writing on the streets - 'AHEAD STOP'.
    Ahhhhh. That explains a lot. When driving, I always read from top to bottom, so I always read it as "ahead stop" rather than "stop ahead." I wonder if I'm the only one who does that.

So, it really didn't have anything to do with composition, as it would have looked the same reversed.
    I understand that your choice was not because of the composition. However, it would not look the same if you had reversed the two words. The current composition displays the lower word wider than the upper word. If you reverse that, the lower word will be narrower than the upper word and, in my mind, will have completely different impact thanks to the change in the composition.

I think I prefer the composition regarding the order of the words as you have made it here, so I'm not suggesting that you change the order. Instead, I'm only mentioning that making a different choice will certainly affect the look because it will change the composition.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hey Mike, no, you're not the only one who does that. I always laugh when I see words painted on the street like that, because I read the same. It also bugs be that they spell ECNALUBMA backwords too - like the only time you're going to read it is while looking in your rear view mirror.

Anyhow, ranting aside. I misunderstood what you originally meant. And I now see that it would definitely make a very big difference. Maybe I'll give it a shot!

Thanks for the feed back!

I just wonder if it would have more impact if you removed the last line. The reversed black.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Ahhhhh. That explains a lot. When driving, I always read from top to bottom, so I always read it as "ahead stop" rather than "stop ahead." I wonder if I'm the only one who does that.
    ...And I thought that existed only here and I was the only one to read top to bottom. Phew... I feel better!

Andrew, this is an unusual, wonderfully executed image,IMO! Well done!