Thread: Quieter Shutter - Fuji Cameras

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quieter Shutter - Fuji Cameras

Does anyone have experience comparing and contrasting the Fuji, X-Pro 100 and the X100.

Specifically my question is:
    Which of the two has the quieter shutter: the Focal Plane of the former or the Leaf Shutter in the latter?

Thank you

WW

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Quieter Shutter - Fuji Cameras

No experience with either, but from this thread on a Fuji board, I gather that the X-Pro 1 is quieter than an M9, but louder than an X100. The used market is probably going to see more of the X100 now that the X100s has been announced.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Thank you, the link and some links inside it, were very useful.

I began with the assumption that, from the SUBJECT’S perspective, the leaf shutter of the X100 would be ‘much’ LESS noticeable than the Focal Plane Shutter of the X-Pro 100, simply because it was a leaf shutter.

But the ‘comparison’ between the X-Pro and the M9 is very useful to me as I have the known factor of the M9: and if the X-Pro is indeed less intrusive than an M9 in this regard, then that is quite relevant to my requirements.

I am actually having difficulty getting my hands on an X-Pro 100 to have a little play with it – one of the downsides of living ‘down here’, I guess.

I am not all that keen on ONLY having a 23mm lens – but I am keen on having ‘quiet’ . . . my conundrum at the moment.

In either case, even though there will be a few ‘cheap’ X100 cameras shortly, if I go that way I will probably opt for the new 100s version; which on paper at least, seems to have very significant improvements over the X100

Thanks again, Kathy: and have a great weekend.

WW

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Thank you, the link and some links inside it, were very useful.
    You're welcome!

Just one thought: there's one more model in the middle you haven't mentioned, so I figured I'd throw it out there just in case [probably needlessly]. There's a lower-end version of the X-Pro 1 with the Fuji X mount, but without the hybrid viewfinder (it's EVF only), which is the XE-1. That might serve as an interim body at lower cost than an X Pro-1. But the shutter sound is probably the same as the X-Pro 1's, as it has the same focal plane shutter mechanism.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Just one thought: . . . I figured I'd throw it out there just in case . . . [probably needlessly].
    I'll interpret the "probably needlessly" as a compliment and that you assume I have that base already covered. But I have always worked on the presumption that I would rather be told eight times something I already know than to miss out on a little tit bit which I didn't know.

So any 'thoughts' from any source, especially one so versed as yourself, are always welcomed.

I agree - my thinking also is that the shutter on the XE-1 will be about the same - perhaps a fraction louder, because of the less robust build of the body compared to the X-Pro 1 - but any difference would be micro decibels, I expect.

The killer with the XE-1 is the lack of the optical viewfinder, which I want.

For me, the (new) X100s is winning at the moment – I really can’t condone spending the $ on the X-Pro 1 and then more $ to buy the lens I want.

The lens I would use most, would be around 23mm anyway – though the 35/1.4 appears very yummy indeed, albeit a bit too long for what I want to mainly do with the camera, those tasks mainly being: candid; low light; street; journalism; pre-set and zone focus; portraiture; indoor; non invasive; discrete . . . etc

There is also an upcoming X20 . . . Hmm which I 'sort of kind of’ had a glance but even though it is comparatively very inexpensive, it is not really what I want.

Any more ‘thoughts’?

WW

Real Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I'll interpret the "probably needlessly" as a compliment and that you assume I have that base already covered. But I have always worked on the presumption that I would rather be told eight times something I already know than to miss out on a little tit bit which I didn't know.

So any 'thoughts' from any source, especially one so versed as yourself, are always welcomed.

I agree - my thinking also is that the shutter on the XE-1 will be about the same - perhaps a fraction louder, because of the less robust build of the body compared to the X-Pro 1 - but any difference would be micro decibels, I expect.

The killer with the XE-1 is the lack of the optical viewfinder, which I want.

For me, the (new) X100s is winning at the moment – I really can’t condone spending the $ on the X-Pro 1 and then more $ to buy the lens I want.

The lens I would use most, would be around 23mm anyway – though the 35/1.4 appears very yummy indeed, albeit a bit too long for what I want to mainly do with the camera, those tasks mainly being: candid; low light; street; journalism; pre-set and zone focus; portraiture; indoor; non invasive; discrete . . . etc

There is also an upcoming X20 . . . Hmm which I 'sort of kind of’ had a glance but even though it is comparatively very inexpensive, it is not really what I want.

Any more ‘thoughts’?

WW
    can't comment on the shutter issue.

interestingly some people are finding they use the EVF more than the OVF on the x-pro1 especially if they use the 18-55 (which is a nice lens BTW). not an issue for you I guess

the 35 is a nice lens. focus accuracy is much better in low light with the latest firmware but the focus speed is still not best in class.

the x100s will be a lovely camera but I wanted the ability to change lenses. And the proposed 27 f2.8 pancake on an XE1 will fill the x100s need for me.

this may help

http://www.fujifilm-x-opinions.net/2...s-x-e1-vs.html

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by thequacksoflife View Post
    Yes, very useful, thanks.
    I have read the whole commentary by Alexander, beginning at Nov 27th 2012 – it was very useful for me.

Thanks again.

WW

Real Name
    Pete

Bill this post on fuji rumors links to a video with the sound of the shutter on the x100s http://www.fujirumors.com/x100s-firs...randon-remler/

you have to wait to the end for the x100s

hope it helps

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Thanks Quack for that link - it is a very quiet shutter quack indeed - yes it did help I hadn't seen (heard) that video.

WW