Thread: Portrait of my Wife

Portrait of my Wife

A natural picture of my wife, while we are having morning coffee. C&C welcome as always.

Portrait of my Wife

Real Name
    Andre Burger

re: Portrait of my Wife

Hi Armand,

Sure keeper for you to remind you of good times.
    It is what you call it "a natural picture".
    She is a lovely lady.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

re: Portrait of my Wife

Hi Lyuben,

That is a nice portrait, I'd like to be able to get natural expressions like that myself.

If I had shot it, there are a few things I would do in PP and while each is quite minor in itself, together I think they'll help remove a few distractions from your lovely wife.

Clone out the bright L shape in lower right corner
    Clone out, or desaturate, the red and orange blobs behind her head on the left
    Clone out the bright thing (a light perhaps?) in the top right corner
    Clone out the odd stray hair that has caught the light
    Slightly brighten the shadow side of her face

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Portrait of my Wife

Hi Armand,

A very lovely lady you have there.

I think your white balancing is significantly out though, and some hot spots and shadow levels need a little tweaking.

Hope you don't mind, but I've given the portrait a quick retouch for you to show you what I mean.

Portrait of my Wife

Hi guys and thanks for the comments, much appreciated. With Dave I agree 100 % .. or maybe 99% as I was wondering myself about the last part - the darkening/brightening of the darker side of her face. Finally I decided to leave it as it was, I think I even darkened it just a tiny bit - I think it makes the picture a bit more dramatic and her face not so flat.
    @Colin - I like what you have done with the background retouch. I didn't edit the picture at all, except light/tone. For the White balance - I usually prefer my pictures "hotter" - it gives some warmth to the aura of the person in my oppionion. I like the eyes on your retouch, they look brighter, but the right side looks a tad overexposed for my taste.
    Thanks!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Armand View Post
    @Colin - I like what you have done with the background retouch. I didn't edit the picture at all, except light/tone. For the White balance - I usually prefer my pictures "hotter" - it gives some warmth to the aura of the person in my oppionion. I like the eyes on your retouch, they look brighter, but the right side looks a tad overexposed for my taste.
    Thanks!
    Normally folks can go about 200 kelvin warmer to add a bit of warmth, but yours looked to be quite a bit more than that. The other issue with pushing colour temps too much is that you risk blowing a channel, which is what happened with the area under the (subject) left eye.

Are you working from a profiled monitor? If not then I suspect that you're not seeing what I'm seeing.

Ok, thanks Colin. Nope, not a profiled, just an ordinary, old LCD, so makes sence.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Armand View Post
    Ok, thanks Colin. Nope, not a profiled, just an ordinary, old LCD, so makes sence.
    Ah. I think you might get a bit of a "surprise" when you do finally get it profiled.