Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lovely Old Bridge

Real Name
    mat

Lovely Old Bridge

Inspired by a thread I read called the 15 minute challenge and by my affection for this old bridge which I've wanted to photograph for some time, I decided to see if I could shoot it in a variety of ways and possibly achieve it in about 15 mins.
    Well I think I managed to capture it from a few interesting perspectives (you can decide !) but what with a sudden heavy downpour, an old drunk who decided to have a pee over the edge of the bridge and then wouldn't go away plus a failed attempt to climb onto the upper level to shoot the railway tracks, it wasn't the most successful 15 min challenge. I think I managed my selection in just under an hour !!
    So, C&C always welcome, I hope you like. . .
    Lovely Old Bridge
    The bridge as a crossing place. I've always liked these kinds of shots they remind me of some movie set in the deep south of America in the 50's
    Lovely Old Bridge
    The Bridge as a piece of geometric art I hope this speaks for itself
    Lovely Old Bridge
    The Brige is a defunct creation It is clearer in this shot that the left hand side has lost it's purpose, it's actually a double decked bridge with a railway line running across the upper level
    Lovely Old Bridge
    As a towering, bold structureNot so pleased with this one the perspective and size havn't worked, but it's part of the set !
    Lovely Old Bridge
    The bridge as an example of a piece of serious iron constructionAwash with rivets this seems more like a battleship
    Lovely Old Bridge
    Rusty and ruined

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Lovely Old Bridge

Hi Mat

Images 1 and 3 are the ones that work best for me. I think both could be improved with some further pp work.

With #1, I suggest you reduce the Highlights and Increase the Shadows. The bright areas look blown to me and raising the shaows should bring out some more detail in the structure. Perhaps a bit more sharpening too.

With #2, once again I would reduce the Highlights as the sky seems too bright. I would also increase the Saturation a bit and sharpen the image to bring it to life a bit more. I'd also consider rotating the image to make the brige look roughly horizontal (even though that's probably not how it looked from the angle the shot was taken).

Dave

Real Name
    mat

Re: Lovely Old Bridge

Thanks for your comments Dave. Those are good points and having tried them I agree with you. Cheers for taking the time to look and comment