Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Snow and Ice (C&C always enjoyed)

Real Name
    Anthony

Snow and Ice (C&C always enjoyed)

I keep trying to be inspired by the winter weather. Tough to do We have had a couple of heavy snowfalls here lately and as a school teacher I can use those days alone to get out and shoot. Some of these were taken with my converted IR camera and some with my regular SLR. I have found that I enjoy shooting macro, but, frustratingly I do not own a proper macro lens. This biggest problem I have found with shooting in the winter is the lack of color. It makes everything lack any drama. Anyway...thanks for any help, suggestions, or comments
    Last edited by anthonymagister; 5th February 2013 at 12:15 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Snow and Ice (C&C always enjoyed)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymagister View Post
    This biggest problem I have found with shooting in the winter is the lack of color. It makes everything lack any drama.
    Or the other way of thinking about it is that the lack of colour opens up all those wonderful opportunities for dramatic images that are about line, shape, tone and texture, which is what you've been doing in this series of images.

I always feel it's hard to give detailed critique on images when there are, as in this case, 11 in the series. Suffice to say that I think it's good to think, as you have done, about getting in closer and concentrating attention on detail. So often, we see the bigger picture and forget to look in at the detail.

As a general comment on the images above, the one thing I wondered was whether use of Local Contrast Enhancement would give the images greater 'bite' and depth?

Real Name
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Or the other way of thinking about it is that the lack of colour opens up all those wonderful opportunities for dramatic images that are about line, shape, tone and texture, which is what you've been doing in this series of images.

I always feel it's hard to give detailed critique on images when there are, as in this case, 11 in the series. Suffice to say that I think it's good to think, as you have done, about getting in closer and concentrating attention on detail. So often, we see the bigger picture and forget to look in at the detail.

As a general comment on the images above, the one thing I wondered was whether use of Local Contrast Enhancement would give the images greater 'bite' and depth?
    Could you be so kind as to tell me what local contrast enhancement is? I have learned a lot over the past few months, but still classify myself as a beginner. Also don't be overwhelmed by the number of pictures. If you see one you like or don't like just refer to it specifically. I'll know it is only referring to the one. Thanks again.

Real Name
    Charles

Anthony,

There is an excellent tutorial here,

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...nhancement.htm

which should tell you all you want to know. If not, just ask................

Charles