Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Portrait on the Tree

Real Name
    Ali

Portrait on the Tree

What a title!

I am planning to print this and wanted to see if it can be improved in anyway (other than ways that require re-shooting!). So, comments are appreciated very much.

By the way, this is not cropped and I will do that later, right now it is too centered but I wanted to have the tree as a frame.

Portrait on the Tree
    Last edited by Alis; 30th October 2009 at 03:47 AM.

Re: Portrait on the Tree

Nice shot Alis!

The blue/white in the lower right is a bit distracting I love the texture on the wood/tree.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    Nice shot Alis!

The blue/white in the lower right is a bit distracting I love the texture on the wood/tree.
    Good point. Thanks!

I have to see if the final crop will take care of it or I have to do something else to fix it.

Ali
    I did a quick edit of your photo

Portrait on the Tree

and here is a link to the photoshop log file.

http://files.me.com/jwrevie/und0vx

John

what struck me most about this pic,as soon as i set my eyes on it was the, true life like pic of the boy! its like i could feel the boy come right out off the frame! the background,the tree,nothing can over power the expression of the boy and the lovely light that keeps that effect alive this is what a portrait shud do! come alive! very fews portraitors do that! the illusion of depth on the boy face and body is just amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by john w revie View Post
    and here is a link to the photoshop log file.
    How did you get photoshop to kick out a log file like that?

Real Name
    Jack

Beautiful picture, one to be proud of.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    How did you get photoshop to kick out a log file like that?
    Like this

Portrait on the Tree

It is the best billing tool I know.

john

Real Name
    Ali

Like this

It is the best billing tool I know.

john
    Thanks, John. Could you please tell me in a few sentences what you have done to the picture. I looked at the log but got lost in the middle of it and besides I could not tell where exactly the adjustments have taken place. I think this is the best way to learn PS from those who actually do it professionally.

By the way, it would be nice if I could feed that log back to PS and watch as it does what you did again but I guess that is impossible from the amount of information that I see in it.

Thanks again.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    what struck me most about this pic,as soon as i set my eyes on it was the, true life like pic of the boy! its like i could feel the boy come right out off the frame! the background,the tree,nothing can over power the expression of the boy and the lovely light that keeps that effect alive this is what a portrait shud do! come alive! very fews portraitors do that! the illusion of depth on the boy face and body is just amazing!
    Wow! Thanks, Taken. I actually like this picture a lot but could not say it the way you put it here.

The light is filtered throught the canopy on top of the tree and the day was sort of cloudy and I guess the picture was taken at a good time of the day, not too much harsh light. I guess that is why the light is so soft and nice.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by jacsul View Post
    Beautiful picture, one to be proud of.
    Jack
    Thanks, Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Thanks, John. Could you please tell me in a few sentences what you have done to the picture. I looked at the log but got lost in the middle of it and besides I could not tell where exactly the adjustments have taken place. I think this is the best way to learn PS from those who actually do it professionally.

By the way, it would be nice if I could feed that log back to PS and watch as it does what you did again but I guess that is impossible from the amount of information that I see in it.

Thanks again.
    Hi Ali
    all I did to your photo was
    1) made a quick selection around your son and copied this to a new document: File new from clipboard
    2) On the new document I cleaned up the selection.
    3) On the original photo I cloned out your son and imported the new document as a layer: select all copy; paste.
    4) used the move tool to reposition your son.
    5) flattened the image.

I hope this helps
    John

Ahh, I see it now - the tree branch isn't going through his head... Nice touch, and good job - wasn't apparent what was changed the first few times I looked at it.

Real Name
    Ali

Hi Ali
    all I did to your photo was
    1) made a quick selection around your son and copied this to a new document: File new from clipboard
    2) On the new document I cleaned up the selection.
    3) On the original photo I cloned out your son and imported the new document as a layer: select all copy; paste.
    4) used the move tool to reposition your son.
    5) flattened the image.

I hope this helps
    John
    Thanks, John. Interesting, I was looking for other things and did not notice that at all, but it definitely makes it better to have the tree around the his head!