Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: All alone . . .

Real Name
    Judi

All alone . . .

I took this several years ago with my, even then, fairly old P&S, but I liked the mood.

All alone . . .

Or is it better in B&W?

All alone . . .

C&C Welcome
    Last edited by judiscott; 3rd February 2013 at 07:36 PM.

Re: All alone . . .

I wonder, Judi, if the figure is a little bit too far into the scene? Somehow, I'm not quite sure what is the intended subject.

As a totally different approach, I wonder about a slight crop from the top and left side so the figure, plus footprints, become more important than the sky.

Just a thought.

And the colour version for me. There isn't sufficient texture in the foreground for B&W to work better than colour. But if the footprints were 'stronger' . . .

Real Name
    Judi

Thanks Geoff -

Definitely the footprints and the figure are what is interesting for me. I'm not sure how to make the footprints stronger in the black and white, but I totally understand.

Is this one better?

All alone . . .

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Hello Judi, greetings from the sunshine state. Have you tried cropping out the water / centering the gentleman? It's an atypical dimension but unless you're printing that's not really an issue. You may also want to reduce the headroom and even tighten up the bottom a bit / shave four footprints.

As for bringing out the footprints, maybe increasing the structure a bit (nik silver efx is dynamite for monochrome work).

I'm a fan of the beach, look forward to seeing more from the 'left coast'.

Yes, Judi, reducing the sky has given more importance to the man; and therefore the footprints as well.

I did think about cropping the right side, but that patch of water is what makes it a beach. Without that he could be walking on wet concrete.

Real Name
    Judi

Rob -

Is this more what you were thinking?

All alone . . .

I like this one, also. But I think I like to one with more footprints. I will also disappoint you in that this photo was taken off the coast of Charleston, SC. It is Morris Island which is an island only at low tide. When high tide comes, all evidence of human existance is erased and you feel like you are the first person to ever be there when you go during low time. Which version shows this idea better?