Thread: The Shambles York

Real Name
    Gary

The Shambles York

I thought i’d post my first HDR shot on here... Any feed back welcome.

The Shambles York

History:

The Shambles was a street of butchers’ shops and houses, many complete with a slaughterhouse at the back of the premises, ensuring a ready supply of fresh meat. The meat was hung up outside the shops and laid out for sale on what are now the shop window-bottoms. It is still possible to see some of the original butcher’s meat-hooks attached to the shop fronts.
    Lacking modern-day sanitation facilities, there was a constant problem of how to dispose of the waste produced by the slaughter of animals in the city. The pavements are raised either side of the cobbled street to form a channel where the butchers would wash away their offal and blood twice a week.
    In some sections of the Shambles it is possible to touch both sides of the street with your arms outstretched. The architecture which now appears so quaint had a very practical purpose. The overhanging timber-framed fronts of the buildings are deliberately close-set so as to give shelter to the ‘wattle and daub’ walls below. This would also have protected the meat from any direct sunshine

Re: The Shambles York

Hi,

I'm not a fan of HDR but I do like York, which is just as well as I live in the area.

Ken

Real Name
    Keith

How lucky your are to live so close to such a photogenic location. IMHO this is a good composition however I think the HDR processing is a little overdone for my tastes.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Liked it; but i wanted the couple to step up few more so that the viewer is led to them.....

Real Name
    Kevin

Looks like a fantastically photogenic area, Gary. I appreciated the background info as well. If you evolve anything like I did, I was a huge fan of HDR with fairly heavy tone-mapping, but now like a bit less of the "artistic" look, while still appreciating what a huge tool HDR is for expanding our visualization of broad dynamic range.

Hope to see a lot more from York. I'd love to get up there. (I still reread James Herriot's books from time to time)

Real Name
    Robin

We were in York in 2007, only for two nights, loved it.
    Loved the Shambles, brings back memories.

Do you know why the streets are curved?

I would like to know,
    a guy told me it was so people could get away from those chasing them with bows ans arrows, I think he was kidding me.

Anyway, I wished I had taken more photos back then.

Real Name
    Gary

Thank’s peeps, it was really hard to get a shot of the shambles with no people in the frame that’s what i was originally after. Looking back i do wish i’d of waited for them two people to step up and make them a focal point. I’m not really into HDR this was my first ever effort, i do appreciate it for what it is but i do like natural shots better. Thanks for all your feed back

I’m not sure Robin why the streets are curved i’ll try and find out for you though.