Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First time with HDR

Real Name
    Zach

First time with HDR

Trying out HDR for the first "real" time today, Thought it came out pretty nice, did 1 photo and changed the exposure in camera raw. Let me know what you guys think.
    First time with HDR

Zach

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: First time with HDR

Looks pretty good, Zach. Looks quite natural, and not overly tone-mapped. This shot doesnt have much dynamic range, so you havent yet seen the HDR technique to its full advantage. More fun to come.

Also, train tracks are a great way to develop a very cool vanishing point with the convergence of the lines, usually looking infinite and mysterious. So if there's nothing too ugly beyond, try including enough length of the tracks to allow them to close own their own.

Hope this helps a little.

Kevin

Real Name
    Andrew

Zach, I'll agree with Kevin. It's nice that the HDR doesn't looked 'over-cooked' (although I'm kind of into that type of photography, I realize it isn't for everyone), however, this particular shot doesn't have very much dynamic range to begin with, so if you hadn't told us it was and HDR attempt, I don't think anyone would have guessed.

I also like his suggestion to allow a little more space to allow the tracks to converge on themselves. Kind of gives a mystic kind of loneliness. I took a shot a while back and made a black and white out of it, if I can find it when I get home, I'll post it so you can see what we mean.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Nice shot. Good advice to shoot to include the longest length of converging lines as possible for rail tracks. Makes it easier to see and get out of the way of approaching locos.
    I think it is great to have a go at HDR and you have done well with this. But should we maybe stop and ask, unless going for a surreal piece of art, "Do I really need HDR with this available lighting? " Just a thought for what it is worth

Real Name
    Zach

I'm gonna wait until it fogs up and then take one with more of a vanishing point, I'd like to get fog at the end of the tracks, I just like the detail thats brought out in this shot like all of the rocks. But thank you guys so much for the advice and criticism. I'll definitely keep them in mind next time I go out and try this shot again. Heres the original image if you guys wanna compare.
    First time with HDR

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Zach

Here's 2 of mine from not long ago just as examples of letting the tracks "finish" themselves:

First time with HDR

First time with HDR

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Hi, Zach

Here's 2 of mine from not long ago just as examples of letting the tracks "finish" themselves:

First time with HDR

First time with HDR
    #1 is just awesome!

Real Name
    Zach

Thanks Kevin, and those pictures are great! (#1 especially) I'll wait for some fog to come in and see what I can get.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Zach,

Nice photo ... but if it's shot from a single exposure, then it's not HDR. HDR are a set of techniques for capturing the dynamic range of a scene who's dynamic range is too great to be captured in a normal single exposure. In essence, manipulating the "exposure" and then re-processing as an HDR composite doesn't add any information that wasn't already in the original RAW file ... so in essence what you've really done is tone-mapped the result. You'd probably have been able to get a similar result using a fill light slider + clarity & vibrance sliders.

Real Name
    Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Nice photo ... but if it's shot from a single exposure, then it's not HDR.
    Hi Colin,

Recently, a friend of mine was telling me that the rules of the major contests for natural photography do not allow, among others strict rules, manipulations on multiple shots. So, if it's true, I guess that a "real" HDR photo wouldn't be accepted in such contests, while a "fake" HDR such as the one posted by Zach would be fine.
    Was my friend's statement right? Do you know if it applies also to contests for landscape photography?

Cheers,
    Giacomo