Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Indoor Boulder Competition

Real Name
    Andy

Indoor Boulder Competition

Some of the shots I took last weekend at my local climbing centre. It was dark with poor lighting and smoke being pumped into the centre - great atmosphere though. C&C requested!

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Indoor Boulder Competition

Hey, those are some pretty good shots. Might I make a suggestion?

When faced with those tricky lighting situations, you may find it easier (and much more creative) to take the camera out of Auto Exposure, and fiddle with the manual settings. A Canon 60D is capable of quite a bit, even in low light areas, but when you leave all of the decisions up to the machine, not only do you have no control of what you're going to get, but you may as well be using a $150 camera instead.

You will be able to eliminate some of those colour casts if you choose a user determined WB setting too, instead of Auto - otherwise, shoot RAW, and make the WB adjustments in post processing.

Just my thoughts though. You have captured some nice images.

Real Name
    Andy

Thanks Andrew. Still learning &found it really difficult going from no light so had to use my flash to a little where I tried to use no flash Av and alter settings to get the best image. I feel the lighting is not so good in the middle 2 photo's.

Real Name
    Andrew

No worries - for me, the middle 2 (#'s 2, & 3) have the best composition. It's nice, since the sport is climbing, to be able to see all of the participants limbs, and extremities. So, cutting off the top gent's arm, and the bottom lady's legs, doesn't work.

But I really like the middle two. You're right, the lighting is a little off, but it adds to the mood. Nice work!
    Last edited by Andrew76; 31st January 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Real Name
    Andy

Ha, you are so right - thanks. I didn't pay too much attention to that just tried to get the centre of the image right.

Real Name
    Lex

I'd suggest using aperture priority (Av) set to a wider aperture, the idea being to keep a fairly narrow plane of focus on the climbers. Your backgrounds are fairly in focus, which isn't always bad, but does tend to distract the viewer from the subject. Consider adding an extender or hex grid to your flash. Watch out for rocks in the foreground which may catch lots of flash and show up more dominantly than desired. That said, you grabbed some great expressions and moments. Number 3 stands out. Number 1 would be my favorite if the frame was wide enough to see the climber's right hand.

Real Name
    Andy

Iv'e got his right hand just need to put it back! Your comments are gratefully received.