Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Full moon shadows

Real Name
    Zach

Full moon shadows

[IMG]Full moon shadows DSC_1174 by Virid1an, on Flickr[/IMG]
    So the full moon was casting down some pretty nice shadows out onto the snow the other night, so I thought I'd do a long exposure and see what I came up with. This is what I got. I really like how the snow glistens. Let me know what you guys thinks

Zach

Real Name
    Lex

Re: Full moon shadows

That's pretty cool. I'm a big fan of long-exposure work. I would recommend trying a different perspective next time, since this composition is a little flat. Maybe sticking the camera next to the shadow, pointed up at the tree and possibly the moon. You'd need a very large depth of field to make that image work, but since you're already doing long exposures, a tighter aperture is no problem. Try for a little more exposure next time, too. Sometimes going longer can reveal interesting colors where you wouldn't expect them, and make the shot look like eerie daylight.

Real Name
    Zach

Thank you for your ideas! Honestly I seen the shot out my back door and scrambled for my camera and tripod, set it up on my porch and took a couple of exposures before I froze to death, seeing that it was 15f outside and I was wearing a hoodie and sweatpants

I just wonder, Zach, about a slight crop to reduce the plainer area of snow in the foreground and concentrate more on the shadows. Not too much though.

Then take a similar amount from the right side or use a different image ratio.

Real Name
    Zach

Full moon shadows

How does that look?

Real Name
    james

To me the crop is an improvement! I love the full moon on unmolested snowscapes.

Real Name
    Zach

Thank you, James. Got it early enough before the little siblings went out there and well.. molested it.