Thread: Noisey landscape

Real Name
    Andrew

Noisey landscape

This picture is very noisey and i dont know if it works or is bin fodder. What do you think? What can i do to improve it?
    Thanks
    Andrew

Noisey landscape

Real Name
    John

Re: Noisey landscape

Hi Andrew,
    I quiet like it as it is.
    I tried saving it, so I could look how it would look with the noise removed; but the saved picture did not appear to have as much noise when viewed in PSE; strange.
    Is the noise intentional?
    John

Real Name
    Paul

I am not sure all of what we see is noise, it looks to be an effect of over sharpening. I would try it with 0 sharpening first and maybe add a little noise control, then if I felt the need to sharpen I would localize it tp the bottom on the buildings and trees only. .

Real Name
    Sharon

After reading John's post I saved it too and ran the file through a few options on Colour Pro 4.

I wouldn't presume to alter your shot but I can confirm that it comes up beautifully under some filters...very artistic.

Not convinced the 'noisy' version does it justice.

Real Name
    Bobo

The larger version looks better.

How aggressive were you with the pp?

Real Name
    Wayne

Then again, looking at the photo just as it is, it has a wonderful, light filled, painterly quality. I'd call it a keeper.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Personal taste rules here, Andrew. Lots of people will like your original version which has much to like. I tried two methods of 'improving' it: First by de-noising to address the noise factor, and second by using a guassian blur to address the alleged over-sharpening. It was very easy to find a sweet spot by de-noising, not so easy using the blur (although there may be more effective ways to deal with over-sharpening).

In the end, I would just make the image to please yourself .
    Last edited by Lon Howard; 29th January 2013 at 06:11 AM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hi everyone thanks again for the comments. I wasnt sure what i had done to achieve the final effect(yes sad i know!) but i retraced my steps and found that the biggest effect was using unsharp mask. I have had another go and have produced a version with much less noise.. I wonder Sharon what filters you were trying to get a nice effect? Heres the latest version. Thanks Andrew
    Noisey landscape

Real Name
    Lon Howard

A very nice improvement, Andrew. I'm much more inclined to 'dive in' to the image now. I don't know if you use layers or not but if so, I've found it invaluable to make just one adjustment per layer, and then rename each layer describing what you did. That way you can not only figure out what you did right, but also how you diced something up . Good job here!

Real Name
    Paul

Much cleaner image for sure I don't see halos on the noise at all and less noise as well. I like the added bit of warmth. This image shows off the light much better.

Real Name
    james

I prefer the fixed version. I really wanted to say how much I like the perspective you tokk this from. The Hills look like a tidal wave over the town below. Real cool shot, worth a good look over .