Thread: Candids with a MINOX 35GT

Real Name
    Peter

Candids with a MINOX 35GT

Went to Chelmsford, Essex ( England) with family on a shopping trip and while they were in various shops I was trying some 'candids' with my little free gift MINOX 35GT loaded with some outdated Kodak GPX160 film I downrated to 100 ASA and processed in C41 -- I did a colour correction in PhotoShop 7 levels as the interior ones had a Green colour cast due to the fluorescent lights. All the interior Mall ones were at full aperture f2.8 .
    GPX160 01 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    GPX160 03 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    GPX160 04 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    GPX160 05 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Real Name
    Griddi

Re: Candids with a MINOX 35GT

Hi Pentaxpete, if you don't mind saying so / asking, but as you so often tell '" my little FREE GIFT " is a gift not always FREE ?

Griddi.......

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    Hi Pentaxpete, if you don't mind saying so / asking, but as you so often tell '" my little FREE GIFT " is a gift not always FREE ?

Griddi.......
    Not sure what you mean -- the camera was FREE ( NO CHARGE) from an gent we met on a coach trip to Whitby in Yorkshire last year - he also gave me a Kodak Brownie Model D box camera and a Konica Compact which I gave as a 'Free Gift' to a Student member of Brentwood Photographic Club .

Real Name
    Sharon

I think Griddi means that a 'gift' is by definition 'free' and so there is no need to use both words.

I like candid photography but think it has to tell a story or invoke a response in the viewer...like humour say...or sadness.
    I am not really getting that with these shots, sorry.

#1 is just a shop front and doesn't speak to me on any other level

The best one is definitely #2 because of the people in it and the interaction (or lack of it) between the two men. This is however spoiled by the womans arm...( you could crop that out)

#3 seems a bit squint to me and again the composition lets it down by being cut on both sides very abruptly.

I love that you are using old film but that in itself doesn't make a picture interesting.

I wish I could say something more positive but assume that you want honest C&C.

Real Name
    Peter

Daisy Mae -- Ah YES -- I see what you mean -- I even passed English Grammar and Literature at 'O' level too !

Real Name
    Griddi

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
    Not sure what you mean -- the camera was FREE ( NO CHARGE) from an gent we met on a coach trip to Whitby in Yorkshire last year - he also gave me a Kodak Brownie Model D box camera and a Konica Compact which I gave as a 'Free Gift' to a Student member of Brentwood Photographic Club .
    Pentaxpete,

Sharon said it, what I did mean about a " Free Gift " in my books a " Gift " is free, otherwise it would not be a " GIFT " so no reason to mention , as you always do " My FREE GIFT "......

Besides, why mention the camera was a " Gift " ? After all this does not make any camera better or worse, and I for myself can not see any importance regarding for any photo which comes out of a " Free Gift " camera......

I agree also with Sharon comments, about " Candid " photos, also, although I am for sure not an expert, but the photos you took of the shopping spree, seems to have a bit of noise.......

Hope you don't mind saying me the above.

Griddi......

Real Name
    Peter

Griddi -- Thanks for your comments -- well the 'noise' is film grain, as for some reason the negatives taken inside the shopping Mall were 'thin' -- I think the film did not react to the Fluorescent lights of the shops too well -- I looked at the distribution of 'tonal values' of the areas I was photographing and there was no large areas of bright lights which would need exposure compensation to the 'plus' side -- next time I am going to experiment with same batch of film in an SLR and give some 'bracketed' exposures. It's the same how some films react to UV light different from other types.