Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rain drops on maple twig BW

Real Name
    Matthew

Rain drops on maple twig BW

Did this one today in the front yard, while it was raining. Yay for plastic bags as a camera cover
    I like both versions of the image shown. For me, the background branch in #1 adds depth to the image and anchors it a bit. But then in #2 I like the cleanliness and lack of distraction. What do you guys think?

EDIT- 3rd version added... I decided I like #3 too. It's actually the original shot crop..

Last edited by FlyingSquirrel; 27th January 2013 at 01:00 AM.

Real Name
    mark

Re: Rain drops on maple twig BW

Those came out nice Matt. I have had some fun experimenting with rain drops inthe past.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    mark

Hope you dont mind me adding one to your post.

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
    Hope you dont mind me adding one to your post.
    Not a problem. Your photo has a very nice mood to it. I guess my photos are not as interesting as I thought, considering the lack of comments! Thanks for your comment.

Real Name
    Shane

Matt; I find the simplicity of the second image the most appealing and would be more than pleased to hang it on my wall...

Did you have to do any work to get the drop as crystal clear as it is or was that straight out of the camera?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Matt,

#2, due to simplicity (as Shane says), is the one for me.

Can you find 3 big drops?
    (people say odd numbers of things are better than even)

Cheers,

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Matt, don't be so quick to assume a lack of interest. As an example, I didn't even see your thread until just now, which is about 14 hours after you started it.

I hope it helps you to know that when I saw the first one, I instantly hoped for a composition, that fortunately, is exactly like your last one. I do like the simplicity of the second one, but I like even more the increased depth of the last one. The large rear drop is perfectly positioned to enhance the foreground drops and is sufficiently out of focus so as not to be a distraction. Great conversions that reveal terrific detail. Very well done all around!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    People also say not to place the horizon in the middle of the image and a very famous photographer whose name escapes me at the moment has made a living placing it exactly in the middle. So, I ignore those types of guidelines. However, for those who prefer the use of odd numbers, notice in the last one that there are three large drops, two in focus and one out of focus.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    People also say not to place the horizon in the middle of the image and a very famous photographer whose name escapes me at the moment has made a living placing it exactly in the middle. So, I ignore those types of guidelines. However, for those who prefer the use of odd numbers, notice in the last one that there are three large drops, two in focus and one out of focus.
    I know what you mean (about breaking the rules), I always try such things and ignore them if they don't suit me.

I just wondered what 'three in a row' would look like.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Helen Wood

I also prefer #3 for the same reasons as Mike.

Real Name
    mark

Thanks Matt,
    I like yours as well. I think #2 is the best. Natrual rain drops are one of those things that you have to take theme as they come.
    I am learning that The little droplets like the ones on the twig on yours look good almost anywhere . however{ to me anyway}
    the larger drops usually look better at the end of a downward pointing twig,leaf etc.
    The first one I posted was my first attempt. I shot about 100 images that morning and kept maybe 5.{gotta love digital}

the second one was artificial from a hand pump spray bottle the back ground kinda stinks though!

Real Name
    mark

Oh, One thing to remember about this board is that there are people from all over the world. So the time is drasticilly different.

Real Name
    John

Nice capture.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    Did this one today in the front yard, while it was raining. Yay for plastic bags as a camera cover
    I like both versions of the image shown. For me, the background branch in #1 adds depth to the image and anchors it a bit. But then in #2 I like the cleanliness and lack of distraction. What do you guys think?

EDIT- 3rd version added... I decided I like #3 too. It's actually the original shot crop..

Matt,
    I think I am the odd one out but my eye keeps going back to first photo With that said I would be very proud to call any of these photos mine!

Kathy

Real Name
    Bobo

What's not to like. Simple, clean = effective. Nice done. I prefer 1.

Real Name
    Matthew

Matt; I find the simplicity of the second image the most appealing and would be more than pleased to hang it on my wall...

Did you have to do any work to get the drop as crystal clear as it is or was that straight out of the camera?

Thank you, Shane. The drops were that way in the shot. There may have been a little more detail/reflection within the white area, but when I PP and increased the contrast, that detail was lost (which I prefer).

----

Hi Matt,

#2, due to simplicity (as Shane says), is the one for me.

Can you find 3 big drops?

Cheers,

Thanks, Dave. I agree that I'd rather have 3 big drops. As it turns out, the shot started that way, and then good old Mother Earth served up a nice gust of wind and rained on my parade (amazingly, I did not intend that pun). The twig shown here was the only accessible one with good bark detail, so I decided to stick with it (again, I really didn't mean that to be a pun)

----------

Matt, don't be so quick to assume a lack of interest. As an example, I didn't even see your thread until just now, which is about 14 hours after you started it.

I hope it helps you to know that when I saw the first one, I instantly hoped for a composition, that fortunately, is exactly like your last one. I do like the simplicity of the second one, but I like even more the increased depth of the last one. The large rear drop is perfectly positioned to enhance the foreground drops and is sufficiently out of focus so as not to be a distraction. Great conversions that reveal terrific detail. Very well done all around!
    Thank you, Mike. You're right, again I made a rash assumption, which I simply must stop doing.
    I appreciate your comments, and am glad I decided to post the wider shot as well. Originally I was not going to include it because I was thinking that the subject was the rain drops so they should be tightly framed, but then I decided this is a good case to break that guideline.

-----
    Quote Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
    Thanks Matt,
    the second one was artificial from a hand pump spray bottle the back ground kinda stinks though!

Mark, thanks for the comments. Great idea to use a spray bottle to add your own drops; I'll be using that trick! That is a very nice photo. It would be absolutely incredible if you had a tighter shot of the main leaf. Regarding the bg, that is when I'd spend an hour cutting the leaf out and blurring the background to perfection

----

Thank you John, Kathy, and Bobo!

Real Name
    mark

When you put them closer as Kathy has done. I cant pick one. they are all good!

Real Name
    mark

Thanks Matt, As you know they are fun to experiment with.

like this? I think the twig in the upper right corner is distracting. Thats why I posted the other one.
    what do you think?
    I may have a better one I'll have to look.

Real Name
    Matthew

I'd be interested to see a variety of different shots of this leaf (whatever versions you have). You should start up a thread for that series and we can get other people's feedback too. I have some suggestions for you that I can post in your thread if you make one. Thanks again for your comments!

Real Name
    mark

I didn't mean to swipe your thread I will see what i can find.

P.S hopeing to pick up a 7d next month.