Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Monochrome Window

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Monochrome Window

Captured in 2005 on a point-and-shoot and converted to monochrome today. Does the sepia toning work for you?

Click the photo to eliminate the moire effect that makes it look incredibly, overly sharpened.

Monochrome Window
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 25th January 2013 at 10:38 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Monochrome Window

I am usually not a fan of sepia tone. This may convert me to strongly consider it. The warm colour of the wall and wood grain contrast well with the flaking paint. Black and white just would not give the same feel.

Great texture in the wall, really makes the shot.

Real Name
    Sergio

I like the grain of the wood and the texture on the wall. The sepia toning works well for me although I wonder how other filters might look.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

You're right, Trevor, that black-and-white didn't give it all the same feel. When I make a toned image, I often keep the black-and-white because it tells a different story effectively. I didn't keep the black-and-white version because nothing I did with it really worked for me.

Both of you like the texture, so you might like knowing that I added a high pass filter in overlay mode before converting to black-and-white to enhance the texture. It's a trick I learned from one of Jason Odell's ebooks as a substitute for using the Structure control in Nik's Silver Efex Pro, which I don't have.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 26th January 2013 at 12:51 AM.