Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: FebruaryFest?

Real Name
    Shane

FebruaryFest?

I have been really enjoying the JanuWednesFest posts and thought that I would throw out an idea for February that is a pesonal project that has been percolating in my mind for a while...

Project Idea: My Street/My Neighborhood (This could also be any street/neighborhood you choose, not necessarily where you live)

Each participant will set a goal and distance limitations. For example I live on a U-shaped street that is about 1.5 miles long and I would try to capture only images from sites directly accessible from that street. You could capture nature, architeture or just try to capture the feel or charater of the area you select. Big images or macro, it would be up to the participant.

I propose a minimum of 1 photo per week (up to seven for those that are super motivated and/or have more time).

We could call this FebStreetFest??? Anyone interested?
    Last edited by ShaneS; 25th January 2013 at 09:11 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: FebruaryFest?

I like that this theme promotes the idea that we don't have to travel great distances or to landmark places to make really terrific photographs. I'll give a thought to participating.

Real Name
    Shane

Mike, I agree that if we open our eyes there are more photographic opportunities in our neighborhoods than we "see". Unless something is radically different it often barely registers as we have seen it all before and ignore a quite a lot as we go about our daily routines.

One of my goals of of this project would be to improve my composition skills, camera knowledge and post processing techniques but I can imagine a lot more sophisticated goals that others may assign themselves if they want to participate. I am even trying to jot down image ideas as they come to me.

I believe it was you who said that you believe you should have an idea of the image that you want before you press the shutter and that really resonated with me. As a relative newbie I tend to take a LOT of pictures but have yet to MAKE some that I am really proud of - most so far are happy accidents that I hope is a sign of some sort of progress .

I am also open to the thoughts of others in terms of ideas/limitations that may work for a "fest".

Real Name
    David

I like the idea. I know taking photographs in my familiar everyday surroundings will make me focus on composition. I'm in.

Real Name
    Shane

Anyone else in? I will be doing this and will post the results here in hope of some of the great feedback that all you folks here provide.

Real Name
    David

How does this work. Do I post in this thread or begin a new one. Thank david

Real Name
    Shane

I think that for the January Fest the participants started an individual thread for their own images. So we should start our own and pick a title. Since there appears to be only two (or three) of us interested I am not inclined to limit myself to the month of February so am thinking about picking a thread name like "My Street - ShaneS" but I am not sure if I should start it here in this category or another. What do you think?

Maybe one of the moderators can chime in to help us newbies with this - Dave, Mike?