Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help with composition

Real Name
    Hemant

Help with composition

Hi,
    Please review the image, and give me suggestions as to how I could have or better yet how you would have composed the shot.
    Thanks.

Help with composition

Real Name
    Lex

Re: Help with composition

Personally, I like your composition. The gazebo supports and the wall in the background both draw one's eye to the statue. Closer and lower would exaggerate the height of the gazebo, but at the cost of obscuring the statue's eye. I like the skewed horizon, since it adds an appropriate sense of chaos to this (abandoned?) site. The only thing I might have done differently is adding a remote flash aimed at the fish from roughly the same direction as the sun. Considering that it's the focal point, it doesn't stand out particularly well.

Re: Help with composition

For me, Hemant, there are too many competing elements in the scene.

I would concentrate tighter on the main structure, on the left, and ignore the building on the right.

Probably, I would shoot with the intention of cropping to 5 x 4 or even 4 x 5 ratio. And level. But shooting slightly to the side, as you have done here, is a good idea.

I suspect this shot would still crop to a different ratio, after leveling, although you may have to do a square crop.