Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Epson 1430 Non-OEM Cartridge Issues

Real Name
    Homer

Epson 1430 Non-OEM Cartridge Issues

I have an Epson 1400 printer that I use for black and white and color printing. The B&W requires non-OEM, refillable cartridges, which I purchase from MIS Associates (Inksupply.com). I have never had any issues with these and I swap them in and out with MIS color carts and Epson carts as my printing needs require.

I purchased a new Epson 1430, which is essentially the same printer as the 1400, so that I could dedicate one printer to color and one to black and white. The 1430 uses the same Epson 79 ink cartridges and has WiFi networking. I set up the 1430 and got it all ready to print. I installed my MIS color cartridges and pressed the 'drop' button to cycle the cartridge load. When finished, none of the six LEDs in the cartridge carriage went out. When I tried printing, the printer dialog box stated that there was no ink loaded in the printer. I swapped my MIS color cartridges with Epson cartridges and the printer worked perfectly.

This would normally be fine, but I need the printer to work with the 3rd party cartridges as that is how I do 90% of my printing. I have spoken with others who use the 1430 with 3rd party cartridges successfully. The cartridges I am using are the MIS ARC-T079 model and their chip is labeled with ‘79xR’ where x=1 to 6, and they have a v6.0 mark. I have asked MIS and Epson tech support about this but have not received any responses yet.

Is anyone aware of what Epson may have changed in this printer and what can be done about it or is there some trick to get the printer to work with non-OEM cartridges?

A screen shot of the error messages I am getting is posted at http://sdrv.ms/VVHA1H.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Epson 1430 Non-OEM Cartridge Issues

I cannot answer specifically but I recently bought an Epson printer of the same family as the previous one. I had to buy different cartridges for it, having just bulk bought for the other printer.. I was told the chip was different. The cartridges are physically identical.
    I have used Epson printers all my computer life, starting with a basic 9 pin ribbon printer. My next printer will be a HP as, as yet they do not put chips in their cartridges, or so I've been told.

Real Name
    Homer

Re: Epson 1430 Non-OEM Cartridge Issues

MIS tech support just got back to me. Looks like cartridges that were built before the 1430 was released will not work in the 1430, just the 1400. Replacement chips are not available. A new set of cartridges will solve the issue.

The good news is that that I won't need to replace all 24 of my cartridges; just the six that have color and will be used in the 1430. The others have various black-only ink sets in them and they will stay with the 1400, which will be a dedicated black and white printer.

All in all, not a big deal. Just another hidden cost that makes this episode less attractive than I thought it would be.