Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Going through old photos.

Real Name
    Louise

Going through old photos.

What to do when it is too cold outside. Make soup from scratch and go through old photos.
    Going through old photos.

I tool this from the road, not wanting to trespass. I wamted to keep the cat to its original colour and only make the background monochrome but someone told me that that "style" went out a long time ago. What is you opignon on that?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Going through old photos.

I like this image. The softness of it is very appealing, though I wonder if I wouldn't like it even more if the broom and that area of the background were a bit softer to prevent distraction from the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    I wamted to keep the cat to its original colour and only make the background monochrome but someone told me that that "style" went out a long time ago. What is you opignon on that?
    I think you should make images how you want to make them regardless of whether or not they happen to be in style at the time. Keep in mind that if you look hard enough, you'll find some people still making Daguerreotypes.

Very occasionally a mix of monochrome and colour can work well. But for me, it's usually just a way of ruining two perfectly good photographs.

A nice B&W composition here. Clean well balanced lines with good exposure.

Real Name
    Louise

Mike thank you for commenting. I have try to get rid of the broom oe softening it up and did only messed it up. My first tought about this scene was: in the old farm house sometimes we shoo the cat out gently with the broom. To see them both outside keeping each other company was somewhat ironic.

Real Name
    Louise

Thanks Geoff, I will stick to my broom,ehh, to my ideas.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

What to do when it is too cold outside.
    What! It's only minus 25 with a windchill of minus 31. The loss of a few fingers, nose or ears is a small price to pay. Just think; you would be the only photographer out there and thus have absolutely unique images.

My two cents: I am with Geoff on this one.

Real Name
    Robin

Well, my 2c worth.

I prefer colour, however, this is an old photo, and in B/W it does look that way.

And you can't change the size of the broom, it is about as big as the cat.

I reckon if it was mine I'd have a go at cloning the broom out, I reckon you could with something like Faststone.

I would be good to see one with the cat by itself and the one with the broom.
    But as you say, the cat got chased out with the broom so it is kind of fitting the broom is there.

And it is your photo, you can do what you like with it.

Thanks for putting it up.

Real Name
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    What! It's only minus 25 with a windchill of minus 31. The loss of a few fingers, nose or ears is a small price to pay. Just think; you would be the only photographer out there and thus have absolutely unique images.

My two cents: I am with Geoff on this one.
    Trevor, there are too many buttons on that camera, I need all my littles fingers!

Real Name
    Louise

Robin thank you for comments. I am not that good on PP, so I will leave it at that unless you would like to give it a go.

Real Name
    mark

I am a big fan of monochrome so it works well the way it is. Sort of gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

in the old farm house sometimes we shoo the cat out gently with the broom.
    If your audience is largely familiar with that, the broom is an important element of the photo and should be fine as is. Indeed, you could plan on making future photos that more strongly connect the broom and the cat: the cat playing with the broom, laying in front of the broom, sharpening its claws on the broom, etc., etc.

On a separate topic, consider using sepia toning.