Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Beach Portrait

Real Name
    Roger

Beach Portrait

I took this shot a while back of my girlfriend and her daughter and I think it came out great it reminds me of a picture out of a store bought 8x10 frame. I'm not sure how I did it exactly but it was taken at 1/200th f/3.1 ISO 100 at 83mm.
    Beach Portrait

Real Name
    Jim Manning

Re: Beach Portrait

Great shot! It does look a tad off center to me, but that could just be me. You made good use of the railing behind them to draw focus to them. I can't help wondering if this would be improved as a portrait shot (vertical) instead of landscape.

Real Name
    Terry

Couple of Beauties there, Roger!

What would you think about a little off the top and right side? Maybe in from the right to the last railing post?

Real Name
    Richard

I tried a closer crop into a portrait format which places the faces of these two lovely ladies at the top intersections of the rule of thirds. Then my eye hones in on the daughter and the daughter with her beautiful smile looking to the image right leads me to the mom. Then you have the mom smiling (you can see where daughter gets her lovely smile) at the camera...
    Not that your original was not good, just that IMO the crop shows off the ladies lovely smiles a bit better...

Real Name
    Louise

Roger you have two great looking ladies here. As a candid coment I would say that the background is competing with them. It may be that the back is much lighter tham your main subjects. In fact the clothing and hair is quite dark except for the white of the shirt that stands out a little too much IMO. Would it be possible to selectively lighten the subjects and darken the background?

Real Name
    Roger

Thanks for the suggestions everybody I will try these out, if you have copied it and made your own adjustments please post them I would like to see.

Real Name
    Brian

My version. Square frame and desaturated the cyan and reduced the saturation of the yellow.
    Lucky you!

Beach Portrait