Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Church & Silence

Real Name
    Tom

Church & Silence

I finally got out for a few hours the other morning to hike around new areas, here are two shots from that outing. I would love to have feedback, comments and criticism to grow from. I've been reading and studying quite a bit, but ultimately I feel confused when the time comes with the camera in hand. Not sure if it is helping, but in a weird way it helps justify my worth, lol.

Church

Church & Silence

Silence

Church & Silence

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Re: Church & Silence

Hi Tom. Nice images. I like the #1 better. It's nice coloured and well exposed. On #2, I think you could improve it by selectively raising the exposure up in the corners, while reducing it in the middle.

Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    james

Hi Tom . I too like 1 more, the vast blue sky compliments the very highy detailed trees and shore smoothly.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks guys for the feedback. #1 was insanely beautiful. It is said you get more than seek when you walk into the wilderness, this surely was the case. I only wish my photographic skills could have captured the essence of the moment more perfectly.

#2 I took this shot really early in the morning. I will play around and see if that style fits for me, thanks for the point in another direction. I noticed a big difference of where I focus the camera, light areas vs. dark. What gives?

Real Name
    james

your camera will meter the light According to where you focus. I believe thats called spot metering. You should be able to toggle that off or on as needed I pretty much keep mine set on spot meter for the style pics I want. Could be that your camera focuses according to the contrast but thats getting above my head. Tom I think your 2nd pic has a good composition. I just am not the muted color or b&w kinda guy, it makes me want to infuse some color somewhere. But thats just me and I am very often wrong about all kinds of things. Keep clicking.... keep posting .

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Hi Tom,

My favorite part of #1 is the texturing of the trees and bits of snow resting on them, along with the reflections in the water. For me (doesn't mean I'm right ... ) the dominance of the empty (nothing going on there) deep blue sky prevents my eye from going to the trees and water. Like I said though, that's just me. Maybe try cropping off a bit of sky and see what you think. What James said ... keep at it!