Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Olympus flash FL-300R

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Olympus flash FL-300R

Hi ALL,

I have a little problem with above flash. Hope someone expert could advice me further how do I troubleshoot or overcome this matter. I owned this electronic flash for my PEN E-P3 micro 4/3. When I turned on the power, both AUTO CHECK and TEST/CHARGE light is blinking continuously. I did change to new both AAA Alkaline battery and recharged eneloop rechargeable battery but nothing happened. The problem still persist and the flash still cannot fire. Don't tell me I have to bring down to Olympus Service Centre..? Does any members came across this same problem before? Hope someone out there could assist or share you experience and tips with me on this issue.

Thanks and kind regards.

Cheers.
    Walad j
    Last edited by Walj; 20th January 2013 at 11:30 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Olympus flash FL-300R

There are no user serviceable parts on a flash, so it sounds like a trip to the repair shop is in order. I think the two blinking lights are the low battery indicator, so if you are putting in fresh batteries, there really isn't much else you can do.

Just a quick thought; you are putting the batteries in the correct orientation?

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    There are no user serviceable parts on a flash, so it sounds like a trip to the repair shop is in order. I think the two blinking lights are the low battery indicator, so if you are putting in fresh batteries, there really isn't much else you can do.

Just a quick thought; you are putting the batteries in the correct orientation?
    Hi Manfred,

Thanks for your advice. Yes I did place both battery according to the instruction + and - orientation but the problem still persist. The alkaline battery that I used was a new pair even until I changed to a rechargeable eneloop battery and recharged few times still fruitless. Btw, I charged this eneloop battery with Powerex MH-C801D charger - probably not appropriate. Anyway I'll keep trying before bring down to SC. I was told Olympus flash is unreliable but not sure how far it's true..

Cheers.

Waladj

Real Name
    Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Walj View Post
    I was told Olympus flash is unreliable but not sure how far it's true..
    Waladj
    Hi Waladj,

Maybe your flash got fried

Some of the FL-300R had serious problems with overheating.
    Check the serial no. to determine if your flash is affected.

Olympus says:

Important notice for valued customers who purchased the FL-300R Electronic Flash: It has come to our attention that part of the FL-300R flash body may heat up and possibly cause burns if touched. The unit will not heat up enough to cause ignition of surrounding materials or serious injury; however, we ask customers to stop using the unit immediately for safety reasons. Starting the last week of September 2011, Olympus will offer a free of charge repair or exchange service for your FL-300R. To determine if your FL-300R is affected by this issue, please click here. For complete instructions on submitting and tracking the repair of your flash, please click here. Determining if your flash is affected:

Olympus flash FL-300R Locate Serial Number on the bottom of the flash
    Affected Serial Number Range:
    101001 ~ 114112
    If the serial number of your flash is not within this range, no action is necessary.

How to determine if your flash has already been repaired:

Black Dot present inside of battery door indicates the flash has been repaired and no action is necessary.
    Olympus flash FL-300R

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...pg_support.asp

Cheers
    Wolf

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Thanks Wolf. Mine is not affected. I think it's a new shipment - I bought it lesser than 2 months. Anyway, I still have no change to buy another new batt. will do it probably this coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Walj View Post
    Thanks Wolf. Mine is not affected. I think it's a new shipment - I bought it lesser than 2 months. Anyway, I still have no change to buy another new batt. will do it probably this coming weekend.
    Hi Waladj, I am having the same issue, fl300r is brand new, I haven't even used it once. Batteries are brand new alkaline, inserted correctly… and both yellow and green lights blink. The camera (EM1) registers the flash as a blinking red bolt on screen, but it will not fire the flash, nor will the shutter engage. I can not take any photos with the flash attached…nothing works.

I am curious if you were ever able to find a solution that worked. It has been 14 months since your post, I thought it might be worth a shot to ask you here.
    Thanks for any input,
    Dave