Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Birdfest Tern shots

Real Name
    Roger

Birdfest Tern shots

Here are some of the shots of the Terns that were diving for food, I found these very fun to shoot. All were shot with my Sigma 50-500mm.
    Birdfest Tern shots

Birdfest Tern shots

Birdfest Tern shots

Birdfest Tern shots

Re: Birdfest Tern shots

What camera settings, Roger? I can't find any Exif information on these images and I'm sure any budding bird photographers would be glad of this.

The head of the second bird isn't quite as sharp as the others but I suspect that is mostly down to a lack of cooperation from your model.

Real Name
    Bobo

That Sigma is surely coming in handy.

Terns can be very delightful to photograph and you have got some really nice flight shots here.

Real Name
    Roger

I wish I knew how to post these where you could see the EXIF info it's not deliberate that I don't show it but probably something to do with tinypics uploading. I'll try to look it up later (going out shooting right now it's 75 degrees and sunny right now in So Cal) but from what I typically for diving birds will shoot shutter priority at 1/1250 or higher if enough light. My Olympus has a crappy image in low light above 800 ISO.

Some editing software will remove the Exif information unless stored in the software 'native format'. Others retain most of the information when saved in various formats.

Converting from Raw to Jpeg can retain some limited information but I have found that using Tiff as the converted format usually loses everything. Which is a pity as Tiff is a better storage medium.

Then,uploading files can also cause problems. It all works fine with some browsers but not with others. Tinypics seems to work OK for most people.

Probably a case of trying to check the various editing and uploading stages step by step to work out where the details are being removed.

Real Name
    Roger

Geoff, I checked and they were shot in shutter priority at 1/1250, f/8, ISO 400 at around 360 to 500 mm away.

Real Name
    Joe

Nice captures Roger. Terns and Gulls are always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerCook View Post
    Geoff, I checked and they were shot in shutter priority at 1/1250, f/8, ISO 400 at around 360 to 500 mm away.
    Classic settings for this type of shot; and good advice for anyone wishing to learn this sort of photography.