Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple back yard birds

Real Name
    Steve

A couple back yard birds

Just a couple birds , from around the feeder. The chickadees were shot off of limbs placed near the feeder.(can't remember who i told to try it, but this is the results you can get) All images were shot with a flash, bounced off a homemade white bounce card, camera mounted.

These are all ISO 1250, hope to get a few with better light, so i can lower the ISO.

A couple back yard birds

A couple back yard birds

A couple back yard birds

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Re: A couple back yard birds

Great shots Steve. Also great idea well done.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jack R Mann View Post
    Great shots Steve. Also great idea well done.
    Thanks jack, it also works with hummingbirds as well.

Real Name
    Bobo

I like the fact that your backyard shots never include the "bait". That is how it should be.

These of course are great shots.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks bobo. I try to keep "anything" man made, out of my shots. Sometimes it's not easy to do, but worth the effort, I think.

Real Name
    Paul

Those are good shots. I especially like how you framed the finch with the branches in #3. Well focused and exposed, too.

Paul S

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Ya done good, Steve. Were you behind the camera or did you trigger it remotely?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by PRSearls View Post
    Those are good shots. I especially like how you framed the finch with the branches in #3. Well focused and exposed, too.

Paul S
    Thank you paul. That one was on a real pine tree. It took me 3 tries to get close enough for a shot. You can give him the credit, he framed himself.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Ya done good, Steve. Were you behind the camera or did you trigger it remotely?
    Thanks ken. I was behind the camera, shooting from about 8 feet.

The birds will get use to you quickly, if you stand still and not get too close. The more time you spend around the feeder, the closer you can get.

I may try some different props, for them to land on and see how that goes. (the pine limbs are about 2 weeks old and will need replaced soon anyway)

The whole key to these shots is: good light, and getting close. (have to fill the frame, to get the detail)

Real Name
    Terri

These are wonderful, Steve. I believe I was the last one you advised on this and I think it is a great idea. I will give it a try very soon. I especially like #3 just because of the extra greenery. Funny that it was the real thing.

Real Name
    Paul

Beautifully done, Steve. Wonderful clarity.

Real Name
    Richard

Great captures, congratulations... Keep them coming!

BTW: Which lens and camera did you use for these?

Real Name
    Matthew

Exceptional. Stunning. Amazing! How on Earth did you get such low noise at such a high ISO?! Tell me you blurred the bg in PP and did some kind of secret NR technique! +1 to Richard's request regarding camera/lens setup.

Real Name
    Joe

Love the compositions, I remember you commenting to me once regarding compositions in wildlife images. Nicely done.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    These are wonderful, Steve. I believe I was the last one you advised on this and I think it is a great idea. I will give it a try very soon. I especially like #3 just because of the extra greenery. Funny that it was the real thing.
    Thanks terri, they are all the real thing. #3 just had a more pleasing background, I think.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Beautifully done, Steve. Wonderful clarity.

Thanks Paul

Great captures, congratulations... Keep them coming!

BTW: Which lens and camera did you use for these?
    Thank you Richard. I was using a canon 40D body and a canon 300 f/4L IS lens. The sparrow, i used with a 1.4x TC. (it was shot freehand at 1/80s. Can't say enough about the 300 f/4, awesome lens, and my favorite)

Real Name
    Andy

Lovely images. I don't think you need to worry to much about lowering the ISO, your 40D has handled it just great.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    Exceptional. Stunning. Amazing! How on Earth did you get such low noise at such a high ISO?! Tell me you blurred the bg in PP and did some kind of secret NR technique! +1 to Richard's request regarding camera/lens setup.
    Thank you matt.

How on Earth did you get such low noise at such a high ISO?!
    A good exposure and noise reduction. No background blur in PP, just shot lens wide open. My edits are just straight forward edits.............color, contrast , levels, sharpening , vignettes(i consider the vignettes, part of the contrast ---large scale contrast). I only fix what needs fixing.

camera/lens setup
    Canon 40D body + Canon 300 f/4L IS and sometimes with the 1.4x TC

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Love the compositions, I remember you commenting to me once regarding compositions in wildlife images. Nicely done.
    Thanks joe. With these types of shots, you have time to think about the composition. (you can place the branches anywhere you want, and in any position you want. All you have to do is observe and see how the birds are using them, and then setup and wait for your shot.)

With other wildlife, i sometimes look for the backgrounds first. (and then see what kind of wildlife is using them ) I have lots of areas i like to shoot in, simply because of the backgrounds.(and other areas i avoid because of backgrounds.)

Another thing that will help with composition, is using your focus dots. Look through the view finder, slide it around untill you see a composition you like, and then adjust the nearest focus dot to the subject. If you get yourself in the habit of doing this, you will not only get better compositions, but sharper images and more keepers as well.(When things are happening fast, its real easy to forget about composition. )

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Thanks terri, they are all the real thing. #3 just had a more pleasing background, I think.
    I didn't say that very well. I was referring to your response to Paul about #3 being on a real pine tree. They are all wonderful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast