Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: park benches

Real Name
    Monica

park benches

Hello, I tried a few shots over the past 2 weekends. The images were great in the small screen on the camera itself but now on the "big" screen it looked liked the images were ordinary. I'm a beginner in photography and still only halfway through the tutorials in CiC.

I've taken this photo in RAW but then re-sized it to allowable jpeg file size. I would like to know how I can get the picture to look "warm" if that makes any sense.

Looking forward to the c & c's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Paul

Re: park benches

Welcome, Monica. looks like you have almost got the posting down. Maybe missing a step as we only got the thumbnail. Anyway, what program are you using for PP? If you have a temperature slider just slide it to where you like. You might try a cloudy white balance if you don't have a temp slider.

Real Name
    Shane

Monica; I am very new to photoshop as well and my first instinct was to put a color overlay on the shot and adjust the opacity and fill. I used something in the orange family to get the following results (I also did a quick auto curves adjustment).

Paul's advice is probably better and easier when you convert from RAW.

This is what I came up with:

park benches

Real Name
    Paul

That has worked nicely. I had a quick play as well just using the temp slider. I also gave it a slight sharp which may have been a bit much with such a small file.

park benches

Real Name
    Shane

Thanks for showing your edit Paul. Yours retains more of a glow - I wonder if the overlay takes some of that down or the sharpening that you did adds some brightness? So much to learn!

Real Name
    Paul

A little bit of both Shane. In the end it all comes down to personal preference. Before that it is just about how much work you wish to do. I like easy.

Real Name
    Shane

Easy is good but that is a relative term when learning Photoshop - everything seems hard/overwhelming at first

However, I will say that reading these forums, seeing the examples and doing a bit of research on what terms mean and how to apply them to your images is a huge help!

Real Name
    Monica

Wow, amazing!
    Thank you Shane and Paul for taking the time to tweak the photo. It does appear warmer in both images. One thing I noticed that both pictures were able to bring out the spots of sunlight on the grass appear brighter. It did not register to me before but after tweaking the photo the patches of sunlight bring something more to the image.
    I haven't decided yet what program to use - there are many of them out there. I'll practice some more with this image and see how far I can get to as close as what you guys have done.
    I'll probably post another image in a week or two.
    Thank you very much.