Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sony Nex Series - feedback sought good or bad?

Real Name
    Anita

Sony Nex Series - feedback sought good or bad?

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with the Sony Nex 5R, 6 or 7? I tried out a 5R yesterday and was impressed with how fast its auto focus grabs images and their clarity. I only tried the 18-55mm lens, so I do not know how it performs with a 200mm lens - which I intend to try out. But it was fast and very easy to navigate the functions. The video was pretty remarkable too. There was no lag whatsoever in the auto focus.

The negatives: The 5R does not have a built-in flash but does come with a flash attachment and a hot shoe that will accommodate non-Sony flashes. The camera is pricey.

I am very much not a Sony fan because so much that Sony has made over the years is proprietary and that is both irritating and sometimes functionally limiting. However I might consider getting over that because this camera is so easy to use and impressive in other regards. The Nex 6 has the electronic viewfinder and a built-in flash, but the price climbs higher.

So, if anyone out there has had any experience with the 5R, 6 or 7 - I would sure appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

re: Sony Nex Series - feedback sought good or bad?

Not got any of them but would love to hear from other here what they think. The Nex5 would be off my list to start with because of no OVF but it's a great camera from what I have read. I have been looking at the Nex6 body only and get the Tammy 18-200 lens for it, also if I did order right now from B@H I would get the Sony 16mm f/2.8 lens free so this not a bad deal.
    Last edited by Melkus; 15th January 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Sony Nex Series - feedback sought good or bad?

Hi Anita,

I have edited the thread title to (hopefully) attract the attention of our NEX owners - I know we have some.

Good luck,

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Anita

I started with Minolta film cameras and then morphed into Sony DSLRs when they made ther alpha series compatible with the Minolta legacy lenses. I've not used the Nex series, but I have read their reviews which are all quite sterling for quality. I prefer to have an on-camera flash to use in emergencies, and as a trigger for off-camera strobes.

Sony owners are less and less restricted in their purchase choices as many more 3rd party providers are including them along with Nikon and Canon releases.

My beef with Sony is their prices, so many of their accessories are proprietary, and their customer service is really poor- I never buy directly from Sony. But they do make good stuff, and I've never been disappointed with quality.

Good luck

Kevin
    Last edited by kdoc856; 16th January 2013 at 09:19 AM.

Real Name
    Didace

Anita,

I have a Nex-5N and really like it but I'm not sure how much weight that should carry as it's my first camera other than a point and shoot.

What I can tell you is that I find it very easy to use and I find the size to be a plus when traveling. To me the only drawback - which I know only from research and not from my limited experience - is the lack of a deep, quality lens line up. But I do read that there are some interesting lenses coming from not only Sony but from third party manufacturers.