Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: would this be an HDR

Real Name
    james

would this be an HDR

I took this shot sunday morning. I didnt like the loss of tree line to the blackness.
    would this be an HDR

So I made a copy and exposed the foreground like this
    would this be an HDR

Then I blended using layers on pse9 and cropped for this
    would this be an HDR

So is that an HDR and is it any good?

Real Name
    Shane

Re: would this be an HDR

I can't answer your question or comment on any of the technical details but what an amazing difference! Is your final shot more representative the lighting you saw on scene?

Real Name
    james

Yes Shane It was probably an hour after dawn when I took this . Thanksfor viewing.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

James the HDR process involves blending two or more versions of the same image taken with different exposures. Also special tone mapping is often applied after that to give a dramatic look (also an un-natural look in the minds of many).

So what you've done is a psuedo HDR blending without the tone mapping. It's worked quite well I think although personaly I think you've gone a bit far with the lighter exposure (ie too bright). The image and colours of the blended image look a bit flat to me.

With an image like this there are a number of ways you can bring up the shadow region on the original image by just working on the original image. This would allow you to avoid altering the sky which looks spot on to me in the original image. eg you can use the Shadows and Highlights adjustment or you can select the dark area with a selection tool and simply lighten it. Or you could use a digital GND in ACR (if it's available with PSE). I'd also be inclined to pump up the colour saturation on this image.

Dave

Real Name
    Paul

I agree with Dave and thought I would mention that you have a couple dust spots in the clouds.

Real Name
    Bobo

As long as you don't go cartoonish, blending 2 exposures is sometimes the only way to go. Nice try here.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

You have dealt with a high dynamic range so I am not sure what else you would want to call it except when I use this technique or similar I just call it photography.

Real Name
    Mike

I agree with Dave. Excellent sky apart from the dust spot which can easily be resolved by putting a marquee circle around it then right click and choose fill with 'Content aware'. I would keep that sky for future use. I think it really makes the photo which IMHO needs a touch adjustment on the Gamma.